Sign in to follow this  
Don Rooker

First hammer - Dogs head

I made a dogs head hammer yesterday, my first hammer ever. Pretty much eyeballed it and it turned out decent. I will find out later when when I fire up the forge. It’s roughly a pound and a half maybe a little more, my scale ran out of batteries. The eye was made with a 3/4” drift. I tried enlarging the eye a bit but I didn’t want to loose the handle angle. Anyway it’s a first shot I don’t plan on making a lot of hammers but any advice/critique is welcome. Have at it!

D9CBBE5A-2A39-40C6-99CF-D6377F3F44A3.jpeg

632734D7-6BA2-48C2-B509-56B3F98591F1.jpeg

FE0062E7-3A23-4458-9F29-89F64AFAC49F.jpeg

7F4CBD5B-5EAB-4CD2-B886-835DE22C9096.jpeg

4110A8C2-55EB-44E6-9D8C-1FD62A4BD5F0.jpeg

• Like 1

That's a dog's butt in the first shot...:lol:

Seriously though,  looks good!  How do you like it?

• Haha 1

I didn’t even notice the background but my wife sure did when she saw it! Lol

I’m hoping to try it later today, I’ve got a busy Saturday. I’m afraid the head is going to break off with that small eye. Some fingers shall be crossed...

Looks nice to me. What did you use for raw stock?

Gary LT

• Like 1

I made it from 1” mild steel that I upset to get the face 1 3/8”. I am planning on this being primarily a beveling hammer down I don’t think the mild will be a problem. I could be wrong but I didn’t want to waste good steel on my first attempt anyway. 

I want the face flat but could someone suggest how much beveling on the edges I should have? I’m not sure how to properly face it. 

That looks great Don,

About facing it, I suggest to try it out and if you find it is leaving to many hammer marks bevel a small bit at a time then try again and do this till you are happy with the result. 

What Rob said, emphasis on "small bit at a time."  And a 3/4" round eye should be fine.  

That's a great looking hammer. I will get that hammer sent to you this monday. I have a bunch of stuff I need to send out. I keep forgetting to do it!!!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 5:07 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

That's a great looking hammer. I will get that hammer sent to you this monday. I have a bunch of stuff I need to send out. I keep forgetting to do it!!!

That will be great! Can’t wait to give that one a swing. 

I finally got a chance to try mine today. I just played around beveling some mild scrap pieces. I refaced it twice to get it where I wanted it and by the end I was beveling without any marks it just ran together smooth. Odds I’ll reproduce that when I get a blade under it are probably pretty slim but I’ll try.