JohnK

My wife's design

Ok...so. my wife wanted a knife that she could use as a self defense item and this is the design she came up with, she gave it an interesting name but that's not "family friendly". I must admit it's comfortable but thin (1/8in). I believe it to be 5160 but I can be sure. Hey it looked like a leaf spring and it hardened...alot. I was thinking of using birch scales but I'm mostly concerned about the tail. I'm asking about it the whole thing in general. Pick it apart and let me know

20191123_190145.jpg

Well, I tend to avoid even thinking of blades as self defense items, they are kind of a backup to a backup, last resort item. You really dont want to be within arms reach if it's a serious self defense situation, and if its escalated to the point of using a knife (deadly force) it's probably a life or death sort of situation.

Without getting into the politics of it, or getting off topic too much, I'm just going to throw it out there, a quality firearm and legitimate defensive firearm training from a qualified instructor will do much more good in saving your life. As always, however, the best self defense tactics are situational awareness and criminal deterrence. 

I dont mean to rant, but it's a very serious topic, one that should never be taken lightly. I'm not trying to debate this, just trying to give advice from an educated standpoint. 

**** END OF RANT ****

Moving on, I like it! It's kind of like a blacksmiths tanto. Putting scales on would be a little tricky with the way the tail is oriented. I would take the scales all the way to where the tail starts if it were me, I think the flow would look best that way. Up to you though, of course! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 

• Haha 1

Well let's just say I can't have firearms(normally) no details available. Personally she also isn't into guns really. I've also been trying to put her into that live or die mentality. I'd absolutely be devastated if my blades were used in such a way but if it also saved a life then lesser of the two?  Now the small gap has me tweaking as well! I'm trying to wrap around making scales work but yikes I'm not sure how to finish in that small space. Importantly it's intended to be used back handedly. Think Steven Segal movies. She unfortunately has appointment's in bad places and this is her backup. I want it to be practical yet something she'll be proud of and hopefully never used;) the tail end I wanted to wrap leather but she wants it to stay..ugh. seems uncomfortable but hands are bigger.

Edited by JohnK

Gotcha. 

What exactly are the dimensions of this blade anyway? This is something intended to be carried around? Seems kind of big to carry, but pictures are deceiving sometimes. 

Personally it's to big to me but it's a underseat tuck. I planned on a full pvc sheath for durability and ease of withdrawal. Probably a taboo in this community but pvc is an amazing material for handle and sheath. At least for real hard use. The scales will be wood though. I said 1/8 but nearly 3/16th. OK I'm getting -200 error 14inches overall. 1" wide. It's a quick draw size I'd classify it.

Edited by JohnK
More info

It would look, and probably perform quite well with a cord wrap handle. 

TBH, a large pointy screwdriver would be a more practical, and defensible defence solution to keep in the vehicle.

It's not a firearm 

If it's in the truck then you would be better off leaving a bad situation if you can get to the knife

I would also grab a screwdriver over that knife

Using a knife effectively takes practice

Don't teach your wife any live or die mentality 

There's a good chance that using a knife as a weapon in any situation will get you in big trouble

It looks like it was made to stab someone and be thrown away, which will greatly aid in getting your wife in trouble

The best you can do with a short blade is brandish it, which is probably illegal where you are, and if the attacker isn't scared then your wife will get hurt.

Backhand use design because of a silly action movie?  Bad, terrible idea. 

I wouldn't be so harsh if the knife was for yourself, don't be foolish with someone else's life.

I'm not taking any of it lightly. These are merely her wishes. I don't like the thought of any of it but if its not avoidable I'd sleep better knowing I gave her what she wanted. I was leaning toward a leather wrap myself. I think it would match the style a bit more. TBH everyone should have a knife. In my line of work at minimum I have to sharpen my pencil 20+ times a day. I'm trying to make it practical for general use. Preferably nothing more

I apologize guys I didn't want this to be viewed as violent.  Definitely kills the mood and for me the purpose of forging in these times. It's meant to be fun and creative. Perhaps a moderator should delete this thread?

You should be able to, but if not I can.  Tomorrow, I'm out for the night.

Honestly I don't mean to keep this going but my wife carries a knife everywhere she goes and a gun when she wants to. Where I live if a girl used a knife in a self defense situation I dont believe she would be punished at all. If anything she would be praised for it. Again maybe it's just where I live...but people can use a battle axe as a self defense weapon here and not get in trouble.

Survival is priority #1. I believe in concieled carry. Nobody really messes with a 230lb guy such as myself, but those on a smaller frame and with higher likelihood of an assault I think absolutely should be prepared for the worst. Two of my sisters carry and I dont worry about them as much. I suggest lots of instructed training and a permit before carrying anything. 

This knife is way too big for that though. I carry a midsize (not a knife) and Its really too big to comfortably carry all day, and that's in my baggy men's garb. That hook looks like a real snagger of clothes and it just looks way to big and zombie slayer like. If I were you, i would buy whatever it is to be carried. It looks better. 

I know what I just said is thin ice ATM. Oh well. Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Personally I don't have a problem talking about self defense, it's not a very far removed topic from knives, though it is a subject that hides in dark corners.

And I wouldn't consider any of this violent or particularly disturbing, 

Knives and self defense are both arts if practiced, and I think it's good you shared and asked for critique as it is a serious topic.

Maybe there could be a locked sub forum that you can only get into by requesting permission from an admin, I have seen that on other forums. Discussion could be limited to self defense knives design only. 

However I strongly believe it's not a good idea to talk about those things where it would be recorded as it could seem as though you are looking for trouble should that be brought up in court. 

I dont carry for self defense, people have tried me on three occasions and I ran away each time, but i do sometimes wear big knives when I go out on my bicycle. Unless my bicycle is damaged I will get away.

John, I'm sorry if I was rude, I also think most people should carry knives. Not only for defense, but they are a very special kind of tool that has no substitute.

I think it should also be considered that good self defense advise is probably as rare as hens teeth and that would be a good reason to avoid the subject on any forum.

I appreciate that friends. Perhaps this thread could be used to discuss the reality of our trade/hobby. I doubt most any weapon we sell or gift is going to live it's life as a fancy dust collector. They are intended for use in some way and unfortunately even potentially in a way they should never have to be. I myself have been "attempted" nearly robbed. Once by gun and twice by knife. I can say in most cases your demeanor, and a very large claw hammer, can be more of an asset than a gun or knife. They gave up and ran and that's all that matters at the end of the day. @steven smith you certainly was not rude. I just don't want to be misunderstood. Messages don't convey intent very well :P. Might add that hoOK does worry me but had a solution by rounding it into a closed loop to prevent snagging. Personally I think it would make a great fillet knife. And whoever said 5160 is great for beginners is out of their mind or what I have isn't 5160 :blink:

5160 heat-treatment is great for beginners.  Forging, not so much. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a bugger under the hammer. Old springs seem to be worse than new stock in my experience, but I avoid using it altogether. 

• Like 1

HA! Yea Alan i should have read about it a bit more carefully, the 5#er did its job but at the cost of my redlight weekend:P I was tired, wife was mad. I got to say i do like it though. Once i reduce it just a little its almost butter but that first half hour or so i nearly want to junk it. Now this isnt due to forge heat, hammer, anvil, or anything tool wise, but do you guys recommend a steel for the slow and steady guy? i can forge fast but i honestly get lost gazing into the fire, darn it.....Im not worried about losing to much carbon but ill admit ive heated steel for over an hour after getting lost in my own head and oh wow crap at the scale once i snapped out of it. I try to run my OilBurner over neutral but Im not sure really of how much carbon i do lose.

If I understand the design the handle does address retention, which is arguably even more important for a woman in a bad situation.

I did carry knives with the thought of self-defense a while ago, but those thoughts went away.....

I'm currently walking around at slightly over 300 pounds, and no knife fighting skills.  I do live in a place where drunken stabbings, either domestic or at bars, and if I do get into a situation it will likely be with a person faster and more skilled than me.

Like I told somebody recently, in a knife fight my favourite weapon is a chair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JohnK said:

but do you guys recommend a steel for the slow and steady guy

Well, no steel is really going to like being held at an elevated temperature in any type of atmosphere expect maybe reducing, but the common recommendations are all valid in this situation as well. New stock 1080 is pretty much my go-to for most of my blades. It works well for most uses, is butter to forge, holds a great edge, and is as close to thermally foolproof as you're going to get in a HC steel, being just under the eutectoid point. 

80CRv2 is another great steel, little bit more complex then the 10xx series, but it's a workhorse. 15N20 makes a great blade by itself, not just in damascus, and is easy to work with. And if you're into tool steels, O1 is probably the most user friendly, and is fantastic for blades, though it's probably the most complex HT on this list (and even then, it's not THAT complex.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

If I understand the design the handle does address retention, which is arguably even more important for a woman in a bad situation.

I did carry knives with the thought of self-defense a while ago, but those thoughts went away.....

I'm currently walking around at slightly over 300 pounds, and no knife fighting skills.  I do live in a place where drunken stabbings, either domestic or at bars, and if I do get into a situation it will likely be with a person faster and more skilled than me.

My thinking is all about the show. Don't need to do anything more than showing it won't be easy. In general I live in a fairly relaxed area but some of her appointment's take her to shady parts of my state and she's well aware of it. Like me she isn't much into firearms so this was a middle ground decision. I must admit it feels "odd" to hold but is quite comfortable. 

I appreciate that Will. The 10xx series seems like a winner. Unless I need to work fast then obviously there's no reason for me to. Fuel is on the cheap cheap for me, at most 2gal of gas a week if i go for 6+ hours a day average, and electrical consumption is a joke. I could power my fan on a cheap HF solar panel or SLA batteries for hours. Id rather this be a relaxing hobby than a day to day rushing to meet a quota.

FWIW, I decided to start carrying after an encounter at my shop.

I work long hours and often the boss goes home and I stay behind, or he's measuring a job, or meeting clients while I build stuff. We work near a shady motel and a trailer park that has some less than unsavory characters passing by our little cove away from the main highway. I've had the occasional drifter stop in to say "hey I like your music", "can I bum a smoke" (I dont smoke), or  wanting work. 

This one night I was working at the big saw loading it with more steel to cut. I turn around and this ghostly pale guy is standing right beside me. His eyes were wide open. I noticed he was very nervous and jittery and had a baggy coat and a baseball cap pulled way down. He asked for money and I really had forgotten my wallet that morning. I gave him my glovebox cash and he thanked me and went on his way. 

Looking back, I question the guys intent and what he may have done if he decided I was lying about my wallet or if I had flat out said no. I then think about how many times i had my back to him and how often we were within arms reach with potential weapons everywhere. I dont like that I got inside my truck to give him cash. He could've killed me and had truck and all. 

So from that point I decided I needed to be more prepared, and not to compromise my safety by giving anything to people that raise red flags and keeping distance and eye contact. 

I dont like the scare tactic approach. If someone is out to do you harm and you pull a knife; who's to say their fight or flight sensor was stuck in flight mode today? 

Again, just trying to help. I think the best way to do that is via a deadly dull, and gravely serious reply. Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

@Zeb CamperI fully agree with you on that. Brutal truth is always best. I don't go looking for trouble and avoid it at all costs but like you sometimes being in the area is unavoidable. Personally I'm generally in fight mode. The places my job takes me is usually those where fight or flight means shot in the face or shot in the back. There's no middle ground and giving your wallet and keys just saves them time digging through your pockets. It's unfortunate but I'd rather at least try to fight and maybe die than certainly die running. Although I failed to mention the knife is intended to stay in the vehicle, not for carrying. A situation where someone tries to open the door and whatnot. Everyone asks why I drive a crappy car. Ha it's simple. One look and you'd never guess there's over 10k worth of tools inside. The first line of defense is to be unassuming. But there's always those who shake the bag and look inside when they know it's empty, hence the knife. Wife has a phobia of guns :unsure: