Tree gremlins

In the Northern Territory the build Up season is coming to an end as the first rains of the Wet Season are sporadically arriving.

This time of year sees the Mango trees in full fruit. It is a perilous life being a mango.

By night they are under attack from the hoards of Flying Foxes aka fruit Bats and by day the hoards of parrots.

Once the sun rises the air is filled with the loud screeching of the Red-collared Lorikeet (very similar to the Rainbow Lorikeet) as they hop around argue, squabble and mercilessly dismember the fruit. 

For those interested in the gear I use  - Canon 7d Mkii and Tamron 150-600mmm. these images are taken from my back deck about 35 meters from the mango tree. I find for the price the Tamron lens is a great lens for wildlife photography without costing the earth.

1A3A1748.jpg

1A3A1741-Edit.jpg

1A3A1746.jpg

1A3A1811.jpg

1A3A1887.jpg

• Like 2

Love me some birds! Mine is loud enough, a whole flock of them must be waaaay worse.  Very pretty though. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I just saw these pics Rob. (it's been a busy few weeks)

Love your nature pics. I have to get down under someday.

Well if ever you do let me know

Great photos as always Rob!

I especially like that big black parrot, no idea what a gum nut is but I assume that beak could remove a finger quickly! B)

• Like 1

Will take a photo of one for you Gerard. It is the seed pod from the red gum tree and the sure crush them easily. That one is a male. The females have a yellower tail.

great bird pics! Last time i was on Kauai, my friend had use of a timeshare on the south shore; the flocks of parrots settling in the trees in the evening was raucous. They have been breeding like crazy since hurricane Iniki.

• Thanks 1
On 12/16/2019 at 7:14 PM, Gerhard Gerber said:

Great photos as always Rob!

I especially like that big black parrot, no idea what a gum nut is but I assume that beak could remove a finger quickly! B)

As promised Gerhard....these be Gum nuts!

The one with the yellow tail is the female

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

• Like 2

Cool pics of cool birds. There's a small flock of parrots in Cave Creek AZ. Runaways I'm told. I saw them in a tree last year. Probably a dozen or so.