Jeremy Blohm

Little swedish beauty

So I've been on the hunt for a mill. I have a lathe and a surface grinder and I've bid on several mills ranging from bench top to bigger than I can handle and I havent been successful until now. They have it labeled as a "tap machine" but with further investigation it turned out to be a little mill. Not a bench top mini mill but not a big Bridgeport either. I wonder if it was labeled as a mill on the auction if it would have fetched more money. There was a Bridgeport on the same auction that brought over a $1000. I won this one for $430. 

https://bid.repocast.com/lots/2001627#aWQ9MjAwMTYyNyZsaW1pdD0zMCZvZmZzZXQ9MyZwYWdlPTEmcHJldltwYWdlXT13bCZwcmV2W3dpZF09MiZzdGF0dXM9dXBjb21pbmcmdHlwZT13YXRjaGluZw..

http://www.lathes.co.uk/arboga/

WHEW!  Nice score, indeed.  I miss having access to mills, lathes and surface grinders.  Used to own a company where we had our own complete machine shop. Everything I need today, I had at hand back then.  Ya done good Jeremy, ya done good!

Nice grab!!! Hopefully I can get up there soon to check it out. 

So there was a huge mix up with repocast.com the website I won this through. When I got my invoice it was blank. I called and talked to them and I guess the computers screwed up and they have to auction it again along with a lot of other items. So tonight was the re-auction and and I won this mill again for the second time. Only this time I won it for $115 instead of the original $430 :lol:

• Like 1

Nice!  When do you get to pick it up?

Edited by Alex Middleton

Hopefully I can go tomorrow.

There was a big Cincinnati mill that went for $345. I should have jumped on it also.

So I got this home and looking it all over it will need some TLC. I'm really glad I didnt have to pay the $430 though. I mean I think it would have been worth it but I like the price I got it for.

• Like 1

I have my work cut out for me!!!

Resized_20200109_161334.jpeg

This is the vertical adjustment. I dont think this has been used much at all. I think it has spent its whole life in this position.Resized_20200109_091420.jpegResized_20200109_161344.jpeg

the front to back adjustment (Y axis?)has some play in it. I think it can be fixed though.

Resized_20200109_091501.jpegResized_20200109_091725.jpegResized_20200109_161413.jpeg

this is the tap attachment which is the reason it was listed as a tap machine and I think it was strictly used for tapping.Resized_20200109_091409.jpeg

That tapping head is worth what you paid for the whole thing.  And the gibs on the crossfeed look good, as long as there's some threads left on the adjusting screws.

• Like 1

Going to take a whole lot of tender loving care to bring that old girl back, but you're going to be really glad you bought her.

I'm really excited to put this to use. I didnt know the tapping head was worth that much. 

Everything seem to be free except for the vertical adjustment. I'm going to lightly sand and oil the vertical "tube" (?) Pour the penetrating oil to the gears and everything and see if it will free up. I was looking at the Gibs and it looks like there is plenty of adjustment to tighten everything up. I need to get a milling vise for it too. I have an pneumatic vise that might be good for certain tasks but it doesn't have "square" jaws. 

f5aaee430af2481f3b18242afe9972aa.thumb.jpeg.4a0699c5fcb4db15e244dbe0c560db33.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Looks like it will be a fun project to get it all freed up again. It's hard to tell what the pitting looks like on the vertical column (the tube). Try just soaking it in penetrating oil and letting it sit for a while first, then some Scotch Brite if it won't budge. I've always been advised against sandpaper (and sometimes even the Scotch Brite) because it might damage whatever non-pitted surfaces remain and cost you some accuracy. It might be splitting hairs on really old iron, but food for thought, anyway. Nice looking mill, though. B)