Stephen Stumbo

How hard is bog oak?

I'm doing a custom knife handle blank for someone, that will require milling some of the wood out with a cnc mill (I'll post pictures when I do it, hard to explain with just words).

I have done a test run with Stabilized cherry burl, and it cut beautifully.  I was able to take .200" deep passes, and the endmill zipped right through.  But how will the hardness of the customers bog oak compare to Stabilized burl?  I've never used or even touched bog wood before.  

Yup, Cherry cuts beautifully, as you say.  After all, it's highly prized as a furniture making material.  Never been exposed to Bog Oak, so I can't comment.

I doubt you'll notice much difference in hardness, but if the bog oak isn't stabilised it will be a lot more fragile. I'd be wary of going at it as aggressively as in that video. I'd take the depth down by about half and try and plan it so the initial pass is going with the grain or you might get some bad tear out.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, jake cleland said:

I doubt you'll notice much difference in hardness, but if the bog oak isn't stabilised it will be a lot more fragile. I'd be wary of going at it as aggressively as in that video. I'd take the depth down by about half and try and plan it so the initial pass is going with the grain or you might get some bad tear out.

Good insight, thank you Jake.   I'll post back here when the wood gets here from Russia, and I have a chance to try cutting it.