Tristan T

2 brick forge not working

I need help with this two brick forge i made following instructions from the youtube channel outdoors55. With two burners going at once i was able to get half the knife up to non magnetic. However, just to get half the knife up to non magnetic i had to let it sit for 20 minutes and then move it back and forth. I kept at this method for almost 40 minutes and then gave up because i could not get it non magnetic throughout the entire blade. Btw i was using 1084 steel and attempting to normalize twice then quench. This is my second failed attempt at a forge so help would be very much appreciated.

20191201_112714.jpg

20191201_112737.jpg

20191201_112604.jpg

Edited by Tristan T
Needed to add photos

It's likely that your forge volume is too small for two burners, and you're just blasting unburnt propane out of the door. Try it with just one burner.

Id think more likely your heat is being directed on that there hot spot and isnt being dispersed throughout your forge.

Burn trail.png

Ok, do you have any suggestions for plugging the holes i've already made? Also do i need a hotter burner or will the bernzomatic torches work? 

If those are cast brick(or not) then plain clay or bentonite clay/ aka cheap kitty litter will work just fine. Now i believe those tips should work but in my opinion id switch to a broader brazing torch tip. theyll consume more fuel but should certainly provide adequate heat. if your forge is for heat treating and minimal forging then that shouldnt be an issue.

Your chamber is way too small, as are your torch ports.  Like Jerrod mentioned when you asked about it last week, those little torch heads need a fair bit of open space around them to entrain enough oxygen to maintain combustion.  You need to hollow out most of the brick, leaving only a thin shell.  The torch ports should be at least 1" diameter, and the tip of the torch should not enter the hole, but rather should be about 1/8 - 1/4" outside.  There's lots of good stuff on youtube, but there's more utter nonsense.  ;)

This two-brick can weld:

two-brick forge.jpg

It's still not an even heat, though.  Any blade longer than about 2.5" has to be stroked through the hot spot.

Its angled down my friend. Also appears youre now using one torch.

1 minute ago, JohnK said:

Its angled down my friend. Also appears youre now using one torch.

Im following alan longmires previous instructions. also i tried angling it like in your diagram and it still isn't working.

Brick forges and small torches are not a good option.  You will spend a lot of time and money trying to go that route.

Check out the Build a Gas Forge and the Ribbon Burner attachments on the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Let me know if I can help you.

Looks like the torch burner is just too small for that use.

I agree with Alan. That's why I suggest using a brazing tip instead of the jet style tips. It'll consume more fuel but will generate much more heat, if you intend to continue on using torches that is. @Wayne CoeI believe he's heart set on using torches. Could be $ or where he lives ect...

Edited by JohnK

You do appear to need a better (more BTUH output) burner.  Check out a MAP gas torch as a possible option, or if you are handy fab up a quick 1/2" Frosty TEE burner.  I also recommend you use some of your previous failed experiments to make a proper insulated door and something else other than rolls of packing tape to support your forge.