DavidM

WIP JK style brut chopper

Bought Jason's instruction video. Trying to get something out of them. Here are my attempts at the knife style in the video. It's about 90% power hammer work, and the instruction is...unique.

First one, I misjudged the cutoff...so it ended up getting a hidden tang. Wasn't close enough to leave brut either. :(

image.png

Next one ended up a bit chunky. Still not quite close enough to leave brut.

image.png

I think the third one is gonna work out. I'm still tempted to give it a full flat grind, just because the brut thing just really isn't me. 

image.png

• Like 1

Good lookin' blades, David.  Curious what you meant by his instructions were "unique". :D

He brought a few of those to the local guild meeting last year, and they are deceptively huge.  At least the ones he brought and the one he forged as a demo.  Like, 14" long overall, 3" wide at the back of the harpoon edge, maybe 3/8" thick at the spine.  Heavy duty, in other words!  

1 hour ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Good lookin' blades, David.  Curious what you meant by his instructions were "unique". :D

Jason doesn't do a whole lot of technical explaining. The power hammer portion in particular lacks some narration.

I did however learn that he doesn't appreciate "bitch mittens" or people who learn too much about steel. :P

Unique, to say the least.  So does he just hold the hot steel with his bare hands? :rolleyes:  At what point does he consider "too much" knowledge about steel? <_<

Hmm, "bitch mittens" and blatant ignorance, that sounds like bladeforums talk to me.....

I really like the first blade. 

Are they all pretty thick? I've got a couple 12" blades with 3/8" spines, they are very easy to use and not much slower than thinner blades.

jasons knives are huge but they don't look goofy or bulky which is tricky to do.

Third one works for me.  Great lines.  Did you forge it completely to this stage, or was there some profile grinding?  In any event, that is some very clean forging.

There was a little profile grinding. Here is the as forged. 

DA79B35D-F22D-4DD0-B456-DCCB7061FB0D.jpeg

• Like 1

David I like your forging skills and this design.  I am currently working on a similar concept that is a hybrid bowie kukuri with a harpoon spine.  Keep us updated on your progress.

There is enough of this bar left to make two more. I'm probably gonna pound those out this weekend, then call it good and move on. Feel like I need to be able to make the knife in the video or it was a waste. Kind of an OCD I guess. 

Very nice forging.  I've not seen anyone forge in the harpoon as yet, so would love to learn those steps.  What was the stock size you started with?

Using  2"x.25" 80CRV2. I think it took about 10"?

Latest attempt. Before and after touching up the profile. The forged hollow really makes straightening a challenge. 

7590E861-F977-4EDE-B3B8-3A48C7494505.jpeg

B7D18BA7-DBF8-49AC-981A-C83E16D96516.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/5/2019 at 10:59 AM, DavidM said:

90% power hammer work, 

What kind of power hammer do you have? Is this done all with drawing dies?

I’m using an Anyang 33, with modified flat dies. Very similar to the Blu Knifemaking dies. Basically flat in the center, 1/4” radius on three sides, 1/8” on the left side for making plunges

First one.

Ignore the weird pin angles. I was playing around with three angles to see if they worked better than straight. ...they do not. LOL

79030502_689288421601131_131765241544441

So...need less recurve, more body behind the clip, and he makes two hollows instead of my one big one.

And obviously I didn't even bother with the handle on this one. 

JasonDavid compare.jpg

• Like 1

That sure looks like a good knife to "act out" with!  :lol:  Bet that one would go over really great in the UK, ya think?

@DavidM could you take a picture of your dies on your hammer. Im thinking of putting the same radius on the dies to my hammer. I'm not sure what they are now but thay are a bit sharper than I would like and am looking for suggestions and yours sounds like what I'm looking for!

I see what you mean about the double hollow on Jason's blades. They really have a distinct appearance to them. 

http://bigbluhammer.com/quick-change-dies/knife-dies

Those are the ones Jason uses. Mine are similar, but with more of a relief on the front and back. I'm thinking about knocking the centers down a bit on mine to be more like this.

A note about the forged hollow. I have no clue how you are supposed to get the thing straight. Getting the periphery straight isn't a big deal, but I can't figure out how to get the "web" centered. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to attempt one of these blades today with the forged hollows. Jason doesn't talk about how to straighten them in his video?

How do the dies work for using tooling and the like under the hammer? I do have another set of flat dies I can modify to however I need. I just need to make new wedges for them because they are milled out a little more than the dies that came on the hammer. I'm suspecting that they didn't meet QC and they just throw them in with the hammer or something?!?!

In the video he clamps the blade in the leg vise and taps the edge into cented if it is out of line. But nothing said about the webbing of the hollow being aligned. I suspect that he jjust doesn't bother. It's something you'd really have to be looking for to catch, and the people who would buy a big brut knife like this probably don't scrutinize all that much. :P

He does straighten in the press constantly in the video. But I don't have one of those. lol

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

How do the dies work for using tooling and the like under the hammer? I do have another set of flat dies I can modify to however I need. I just need to make new wedges for them because they are milled out a little more than the dies that came on the hammer. I'm suspecting that they didn't meet QC and they just throw them in with the hammer or something?!?!

There isn't much flat surface on mine. Not sure they would work well with tooling.