Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard Gerber

Forging 304 stainless?

One of my last two knives turned into a carving knife rather than a chefs knife....by accident :P

With everybody from @Ross Vosloo to Alec Steele getting in on the fork action, I figured making a friend for the accidental carver might make it better.

Don't want to use knife steel, only other stainless I have is a bar of 304......will that work?

That will work fine.  Just don't quench it! 304 anneals by quenching just like copper.

• Thanks 1

Excellent, thanks Alan! B)

Haha, thanks for the shout out! I forged mine out of 5160! Wish I had access to some 304 for bolsters and guards! Look forward to seeing what you come up with 

• Like 1

I should also mention that if you think 52100 is hard to move under the hammer, 304 will set you straight. ;)

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

304 will set you straight.

I once forged a guard for a sword (havent finished the sword yet) from 304 and I was surprised at just how firm and unrelenting it was! Coupled with the fact that its rough grinding as well, I tend to avoid working with it much anymore. 

On 12/6/2019 at 10:29 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I should also mention that if you think 52100 is hard to move under the hammer, 304 will set you straight. ;)

Funny story, will be sure to take a few photos before I start...

Few years ago I had a VW Caddy "company car" and with the help of a friend and approval from the boss we built a roof rack for the Caddy so I could transport my kayak....

I had a piece of 304 flatbar left, and right at the beginning of the craziness, knowing less than nothing, I decided to make a big full tang chopper out of that piece of stainless.... :wacko:

I had nothing but  files and a hacksaw, I did not get far :lol:

Thanks for the warning, public holiday tomorrow, might start this afternoon.

What in the composition of 304 makes it anneal when quenched? I have some RoyAlloy that work hardens pretty easily and I'd love a way to easily anneal it

The whole 300 series of stainless can be annealed by quenching, it's all austenitic.  Meaning, the phase of iron in it is not hardenable except by work-hardening.  It's complicated, in other words.  I can't find much on RoyAlloy, except that it's a pain to deal with, apparently.  I did find one datasheet for Abrams 1.2085, described as "~RoyAlloy."  It says to furnace anneal, but doesn't give the cooling rate.  It just says "heat to 850-880 C, furnace cool."  I guess that means just leave it in the furnace and let cool naturally, but I don't know.  Maximum hardness is Rc48 with an oil quench from 1050 C.  

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

I'd suggest trying a sub-critical anneal (AKA extreme temper).  Normalize it then heat again to just before the phase change and hold for a few minutes, slow cool.  Don't get it too hot on the second heating, you're just tempering the structure that is there, no phase changes.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info.

Forging went well, it is a bit difficult to move, but I let it get a bit hotter and used a bigger hammer :)

.....but forging the fork is a different story :wacko: I'd thought up an "order of operations" that quickly went to pot, and my second plan of attack also failed.

I'll do some more research before the next attempt, at least I rough forged a little 52100 blade so it wasn't a complete waste B)