Viking langsax

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*In David Attenborough's voice*   Here we see the wild bladesmith in his natural habitat.    He wields his billet of steel with determination and ferocity rarely seen in the unforg

There is a few areas of concern but I'm going to keep at it and hope for the best. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Screenshot_20191212-120325_Video_Player.jpg

*In David Attenborough's voice*

Here we see the wild bladesmith in his natural habitat. 

He wields his billet of steel with determination and ferocity rarely seen in the unforgiving land of Michigan. 

The look on his face screams with raw energy and pure joy. 

His power hammer hits hard and true, which the bladesmith enjoys greatly.

• Haha 5
On 12/11/2019 at 3:11 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Folks who make black powder rifle barrels like those wide tires.  

I watched a video last night of a guy welding up a barrel. That's a cool process. I also watched another video of a guy making a Damascus barrel and he had a set up to actually set the weld while the billet was still in the gas forge.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm....   IF it holds together you might be able to save it, but it looks like a slightly-too-cold twist is shearing every third twist line towards the left side of the picture.  The only way to fix that that I know of 9and I'm open to suggestions!) is to flat-grind until all the scale is gone.  This won't leave you with a lot of thickness to work with, and if that is shearing, you'll need to weld it to something else sooner than later.  If it's just deep grooves you're good to go.  Once you de-scale, of course.  I have a small pile of sheared twist sections under the vise.  It happens.  

Boy, am I late to this one.  Michael I don't know about about the Manganese content of railroad track rail but I think that the carbon content is up around 0.8% which gives the maximum hardness based on carbon content.  The problem with forging used use rails is breaking them down, which Jeremy has the equipment to do.

Jeremy,  I hope that your back is friends with you again.  My brother is paying for sins of his youth with a bad back.  It force him to give up golf but he just shrugs and says that it gives him more time to play pool.  Besides playing on pool teams he has a full sized slate topped pool table in his living room.  Life's rough.

Doug

14 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Even if I can save a couple sections and make a smaller multi-bar seax?

That's always an option for longer sections.  My pile is of mostly sub-2" chunks.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:58 PM, Doug Lester said:

Jeremy,  I hope that your back is friends with you again.  My brother is paying for sins of his youth with a bad back.  It force him to give up golf but he just shrugs and says that it gives him more time to play pool.  Besides playing on pool teams he has a full sized slate topped pool table in his living room.  Life's rough.

Life is rough. It is the sins of my youth why my back is shot but I push forward to the fight. I have to pick carefully what I do and when I do it because I pay for almost everything I try to accomplish in pain. That's why I have tried so hard to build up my shop with power tools so I can actually accomplish the things i want in reasonable time.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what I'm doing with it but it looks like it's all welded back together. I wrapped it around a bar of wagon tire wrought iron. It's not a langsax but it will still become something interesting?

Resized_20200315_171019.jpeg

Resized_20200315_171015.jpeg

• Like 1

He doesn't need the fish mouth, he did the wraparound. 

Looks pretty good Jeremy. Now make a dagger out of it.

8 hours ago, Joshua States said:

He doesn't need the fish mouth, he did the wraparound. 

Looks pretty good Jeremy. Now make a dagger out of it.

I meant if he were to have the right shape. If he forges it to the right shape now, he will have some deformity in the pattern. Even with a dagger he looks pretty broad. And, if he draws it out, his stars will become loose. It still might look really cool though. 

I kind of like the look of loose stars, especially if it's a bold layer count.

I do like the spear head idea too. @Jeremy Blohm what are your dimensions right now?

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

I will get some measurements today. I forged it down a bit. Everything is looking really good though!!!

• 4 months later...

Yhis got put off to the side for a while  because the edge bar i was trying weld on kept coming apart at the tip. Resized_20200721_160723.jpeg 

I was looking at it closely today and decided to cut a section out of the end and forge welded it together that way and it worked a treat. Everything is looking good and solid now. I just need to forge it down a bit. Tomorrow I'm going to do a quick grind to get a dirty etch to make sure none of the tack welds are visible.Resized_20200721_160657(1).jpegResized_20200721_174853.jpegResized_20200721_174849.jpegResized_20200721_174827.jpeg

I agree, nice save. I am really enjoying this progress Jeremy, thanks for posting these.!

Gary LT

• Thanks 1

Thank you gentlemen!!! I trimmed the excess bits of the edge bar off and forged out the tang some and then the wife got home from work.  I will get more progress pictures and some more forging done tomorrow 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking great! You're forging out the distal taper, right? I see what you mean by the areas of concern...unfortunately, I'm not versed enough in multibar blades to offer much help. :unsure: