Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dougherty

Sound Financial Decisions

Recommended Posts

I am an odd duck in a lot of ways.  One of my less than normal habits is that I have grown fond of driving older sports cars as a daily driver.  A few years ago I rebelled and got away from the pick-up/SUV/Station Wagon rut I had been in for years, and bought an old BMW Z3 that I drove every day.  I swapped winter and summer tires with the seasons, and it was literally the only car I had to drive.  (I have others, but the rest of the family uses them on a daily basis)

 

That car got rear-ended and totaled, so I bought another one.  I've been driving the second one for a few years now as my only car.  It will be 21 years old next April.

 

This weekend, I decided to sell the Z3 and "Upgrade" to this:

image (1).jpg

 

I know, I am nuts.  Jumping from a 20-year old BMW to a 14-year old Porsche is not something that many would consider to be a good judgement call.  However, in my mind, I paid used Toyota Camry money for this car, and would rather be in it than something boring.  I can fix most things myself, and am generally up for an adventure.

 

I may have to get the roof rack.  With the Z3 I could bring home 10' lumber as long as the top was down. (Well, 2 or 3 boards at a time)  I may miss that ability with the Cayman.

 

Wish me luck if you would.  The "Porsche tax" is a real thing, and parts for this are a lot more expensive than the baby Beemer.  However, if it gets real ugly, I have the means to just go buy a normal car.  For now, the adventure continues...

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those cars are generally quite reliable by German standards. Way better than BWM imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A true odd duck into older sports cars drives a Triumph TR6, an Austin Healey 3000, or a Sunbeam Tiger.  German cars are too reliable by far, and there's good reason you never see Alfa Romeo Spyders anymore...:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

A true odd duck into older sports cars drives a Triumph TR6, an Austin Healey 3000, or a Sunbeam Tiger.  German cars are too reliable by far, and there's good reason you never see Alfa Romeo Spyders anymore...:lol:

 

The 5 years before I bought the first Z3, I drove a '72 Triumph Spitfire.  I couldn't daily drive it since it didn't have a top, and I am not that odd.  However, I did drive it anytime it was dry regardless of the temp.  -11F on my way to work one morning was my record :)   There was something about the challenge of getting an old car like that up and going on a winters morning that had a lot of charm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

German cars are too reliable by far,

I beg to differ :lol:, but it's alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never owned a Porsche or even sat in a demo but saw many when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, (along with Ferrari, Mazurati, Lambs, etc.)

Finally bought a used Audi, a 2011 convertible only because I could afford it......and I am sold on German workmanship and design!!

 Still have my 1998 truck though, 352000 miles. Every man should own a truck even if it only has three wheels! 

Live large Brian and enjoy!!

Gary LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gary LT said:

Audi,

Wait until you need to replace the front suspension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

I beg to differ :lol:, but it's alright.

Compared to old English cars they are!  The ones I mentioned (and Brian's Spitfire) give you a 90% chance you'll get home when they're in the best possible tune, and a 10% chance they'll start at all. :lol: Daily tune-ups are a must.  But they're cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I even went so far as to replace the relatively reliable Weber carb put on the American Spitfires in the 70's with twin SU carbs that would have been found on a European car.  The car ran much better with the SUs, but I had to learn how to start a car with no accelerator pump in cold weather.  That was the car that finally forced me to understand how to use a choke...

 

 

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See, you are hardcore!  :lol:  I had a boss once who loved the MG T-series.  He had to learn how to re-wind a magneto, which went well until his wife found him doing it on the kitchen table alongside the Strombergs he was replacing the floats in.  And a friend who had an Austin-Healey 3000 that would only run for 30 minutes at a time before something needed adjusting.  He now has a 2010 Porsche 911 Boxster (non-turbo) to satisfy his ragtop needs.  I've heard others recommend the Mazda Miata for that, but to me they're too plebeian.  I had enough manual choke fun with a 1964 Plymouth to last me a lifetime.  Been driving a Dodge pickup since 1998 with satisfaction, except for the time the '96 ate its own intake gasket.  I agree with Gary, a man needs a pickup!  When I need a convertible I go visit my dad and play with his 1923 Ford Model T.  That car makes 25 MPH feel like going 95 MPH. :ph34r:

 

17 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

I beg to differ :lol:, but it's alright.

 

So, in your opinion as a mechanic, what's the brand with the fewest issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget the Honda S2000. Very fun convertible! And probably the most reliable as well. 

 

The MX-5 or Miata is fun as well, but always lacked the power to make it real fun.

Edited by Joël Mercier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I agree with Gary, a man needs a pickup! 

 

I once pulled the passenger seat out of the Spitfire so that I could carry a rototiller to my in-laws.  Where there is a will, there is a way :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Let's not forget the Honda S2000. Very fun convertible! And probably the most reliable as well

 

Oddly enough, my friend had one of those.  He said it had no soul, thus the Porsche. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that regard, cars are like knives or music. Can't please everyone!

 

Can't figure the "no soul" part though. Honda shove all their expertise onto that car. It's lightweight, perfectly balanced (exactly 50/50 if I remember well) and the i4 pumps 120hp per liter. The gearbox and steering gear are very precise. Definitely has a Nippon soul IMO... I'm not a Honda guy but those S2000 are fun as hell.

Edited by Joël Mercier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over here you're supposed to get a pinch and a punch when you get a new car......no idea why.........but pinch & punch & enjoy your new ride! B)

 

Personally that's not my style, not sure I'd fit and my knees would not thank me :P

I would love a rat rod, or one of those bikes with the diesel engines, all very unlikely.

 

Second choice would be an 80's or 90's hot hatch, and in my book the VW Golf 1 is the only choice.

 

If I'd been able to keep working at the mine I was employed at 5 years ago I'd be driving a Toyota GT86 by now.  I get no pleasure from going fast, I like to go through corners on the limit, nothing better :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Over here you're supposed to get a pinch and a punch when you get a new car......no idea why.........but pinch & punch & enjoy your new ride! B)

 

That's a new one on me.  I've been getting a lot of jokes and jabs as the Porsche mark is not exactly within the socio-economic reality of where I live and work.  I've been pointing out to people that their used Honda Accord cost more than I paid for my car :)

 

I'm too old to drive fast on public roads anymore.  However I do enjoy getting to the speed limit quickly, and also enjoy some spirited cornering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...