Allen Vann

I did something cool!! (Or made a big stinky mess)

Ok, so I have access to about 4 or 5 pounds a day of a combination of 1045 and carburized low alloy steel powder. This is from a grinding process using a zircon abrasive. Today I decided to try roasting some to see if it may be sufficient for smelting. I roasted it at a very high temp and the outcome seemed to indicate that it may work.... input anyone?

I'm far from an expert on smelting, so take my post with a grain of salt.

Roasting it at a high enough temperature would probably convert it to black iron oxide, otherwise I think it would just be a melt (not a smelt) if it was just steel powder? I think. 

The grit from the abrasive may cause a bit of a problem, but it's possible that it may just find it's way into the slag. 

I wish I could help more. I hope it works out for you. 

Edited by Will Wilcox

I'm hoping that the grit being a a zircon silica will be a decent slag that will act as a flux but not be too much. Wishful thinking probably:rolleyes:. Iron oxide should be better than the steel itself though right?

Here's after the roast btw.

20191211_181007.jpg

Worth a shot.  The zirconium may make a seriously gummy slag, but you won't know until you try!

Thanks alan, hey I just made another post on this thread looking for a smelt going on nearby. Let me know if you can help out there as well please