Sign in to follow this  
Allen Vann

East Tennessee or western NC smelts

Will anyone in the east tn or western nc area be doing a smelt soon after the first of the year? If so, I would love to attend!! I've met a local bladesmith near me who has an interest in smelting as well.

Not that I know of,  but then I don't do Facebook and that's where most of the smelting folks are.   Look up Mark Green and Daniel Cauble to start.  

One of these days I will do a run of high-phosphorus ore, since I have some, but until that time I don't plan on doing one.  

Awesome, thanks. We plan on giving a smelt a shot in the near future. The other guy is going to japan in April to take a class for tamahagane. 

That will be interesting...  They do things a bit differently there.  If you do hook up with Mark (he lives in Greenville, NC) he's been prospecting the mountains of western NC for titaniferous magnetite to try and replicate tamahagane, or at least he was a few years ago.  It's a bugger to smelt, though.  

Somewhere around here there's a series of threads by Dan O'Connor  about his tatara furnace experiments.  Your buddy would like those. 

I've already sent him the link to the entire bloomers and buttons thread B)