Forging Box Jaw Blacksmithing Tongs

I love bow jaw tongs for holding the tang of knives or swords. I decided to make a video on forging them - following the Mark Asperey approach:

Let me know what you think.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I just watched Mark Aspery's box jaw video an hour ago!  :lol:  As usual, he makes it look easy.  You showed a bit more of the actual difficulty for those of us who don't forge every day, and I appreciate that.  Good job!  And box jaws are most excellent tongs to have in a variety of sizes.  

Everyone knows I'm a newbie at all of this, so I don't mind exposing my ignorance.  Why is it some "smiths", such as you, Niels, chose to draw out the reigns on tongs and others, like Mark Aspery cut the tong bits off and weld reigns to them.  I've never understood that.  Is it simply to save the time of drawing out the reigns?

23 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Is it simply to save the time of drawing out the reigns

Some of that, on small tongs.  Tongs for large stock are made from large stock. It's not uncommon to forge the jaws to hold 1/2" flat bar from 1" square bar, which is about the practical limit for hand forging for most people.  And those aren't huge tongs.  On the big stuff, if you don't have a power hammer or a team of strikers, it's easier to weld on the reins.

For me, it's time and effort.   I can weld on a pair of reins a lot faster and with less effort, then I can draw down the stock I use for the jaws.  In my case, for most of my tongs, I forge the jaws and boss out 3/4 square and the reins out of 7/16 round.

Thanks.  Learning all I can about this stuff.  I don't have my forge up and running yet, but know I'm going to have to build my hammer and tong stock on a "begger's pension".  So I'll be forging all my tongs unless I find some in a garage sale for next to nothing somewhere.

2 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

For me, it's time and effort.   I can weld on a pair of reins a lot faster and with less effort, then I can draw down the stock I use for the jaws.  In my case, for most of my tongs, I forge the jaws and boss out 3/4 square and the reins out of 7/16 round.

Probably half of the tongs I made recently are 3/4in for the jaws and boss than 1/2 round that I forge weld on. I cheat though because I place a tag weld to avoid the dropping tongs dance.