last sheath of the year

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen a belt clip attached like that. I usually Slide the metal clip through the sheath and cover it with a thin piece of kip.

On 12/26/2019 at 1:08 PM, Joshua States said:

I've never seen a belt clip attached like that. I usually Slide the metal clip through the sheath and cover it with a thin piece of kip.

Could you please elaborate on this? I also have been attaching belt clips the way JeffM does. 

Thanks, Jon

Cut a horizontal oblong slot for the clip back to slide through. (they make punches for this) It is now on the inside of the sheath. 

Rivet in place. Apply a thin layer of kip on the inside of the sheath, like a lining, to protect the knife as it slides in.

Fold the sheath over and sew the seam.

On a sheath shaped like the one shown above, you would need to stitch the kip all the way up to the top above the retaining strap.

Edited by Joshua States

Just different ways of accomplishing the same task.  What Joshua is referring to as the kip is in reality a thin layer of material that lines the inside of the sheath area and specifically covers the metal clip when it is on the inside of the sheath.  In some instances you may not use a metal clip at all you could just use a leather fold over loop stitched top and bottom. 

Or this:

clip.jpg

It's a little ratty-looking because I haven't resewn it, but that's a clip between two layers of 1.5 ounce calfskin for a Swiss Army Knife sheath.  Slot at the top for the clip, slot at the bottom for the retainer, small snap to hold it in.  This keeps leather between the clip and the knife and protects the front out your belt.  

Thanks, guys! There was a method to my madness. I crush a pair of glasses, (which I have to have for close work) about 1 pair every couple of months. So started buying the Nitize hard cases!! Like these!

nitize.jpgThe case is practically indestructible but what I hate is the zipper. That is the weak point! Anyway back to the story at hand! They use a clip on the back like this one. They are spring loaded but the one thing that makes them great is the design of it. The hook turns inward and once clipped on a belt or a pocket they are almost impossible to come of without trying hard to remove it. I wish I could find something like these Nitize clips from a supplier!!! 71ITJxAHoFL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Notice the difference from the Nitize clip to the regular pocket clip!! spring-clip-nickel-plate-1239-00-600_430.jpgThe regular pocket clip is designed to be easy on and easy off. The Nitize has the hook turned back to itself and I have never lost one with that hook!! OK, so I got carried away with this explanation!!!:D

I have been tempted to use one of my old ones on a knife sheath just to test run it. I won't sell one with it on it because it looks Mickey Mouse on a leather sheath. You can buy them but they just don't look right on a leather sheath. I have been looking for a source for metal ones like the Nitize but no luck so far!!  The ones in the pic are made by a company called Cellet!! They would look good with a kydex sheath but I don't do kydex!! 

Edited by C Craft

Yep, those are good!  I had one on a phone case once. It stayed on the belt once when the phone wanted to go elsewhere.  I still have the clip, but it tore the whole back off the phone case!  Luckily it was my work-issued iPhone 5, and I don't care if that POS gets run over by a bulldozer. :lol:

C Craft if it's any consolation I budget for a new pair of magnifier glasses for up close work every month....

I keep breaking them over and over and over....

Hey, JeffM and Joshua. Do you guys have a picture of the kip ? The way I’m looking at this is a lining to the entire sheath. Is it sewn in? I don’t want to shift this thread from the outstanding sheath JeffM made. Great dying job also. I’m just curious about different methods is all.

Thanks, Jon

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 7:57 PM, Jon Bishop said:

Hey, JeffM and Joshua. Do you guys have a picture of the kip ? The way I’m looking at this is a lining to the entire sheath. Is it sewn in? I don’t want to shift this thread from the outstanding sheath JeffM made. Great dying job also. I’m just curious about different methods is all.

Thanks, Jon

Evidently, they do not call it "Kip" anymore.

This is the stuff.