Butcher knife for friend - WIP

billyO

Hello all.  I thought I'd try a WIP for my next project, now that I'm getting back into the swing of things (literally...:D)

My sister asked me to make a knife for a chef friend of hers who donated time and food for a dog rescue she volunteers at.  In answer to the question of what size/style he wants, his response was:  A small butcher's knife to break up turkeys.  5 1/2" blade length, 5 cm high at the heel, 5mm thick at the spine, square shaped WA handle 12 cm long.  (Not sure why he mixed metric and english units, but I'm adaptable....)

Here are the sketches I sent him:

1.jpg

He picked the top shape, which kinda surprised me because he initially said he was thinking he wanted a santoku, but then changed his mind, saying he'd rather have a butcher's knife....

I decided to do a ladder pattern using a billet I had laying around.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is 3 pieces of 25 layer 0.125" 1084/ 0.140" 15N20 separated by 0.140" thick layers of 15N20.  

Here's the billet while grinding the grooves:

4.jpg

Looks like I need to go a bit deeper here:

4a.jpg

Ladder grooves complete:

5.jpg

Stay tuned...

PS - let me know if I y'all would rather I shrink the pics.

Suggestions, and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Edited by billyO
  • Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Looks like I was wrong about the initial billet makeup.  Here it is after a quick 30 second dunk in acid: 6.jpg6a.jpg

It looks like this is actually 2 25 layer pieces around a 15N20 core....might be interesting...

It also looks like I need to do a bit more grinding/filing as indicated to get the grooves deep enough and symmetrical.6b.jpg

Hope to fire up the forge this afternoon....

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

So here's where we are today, this looks better:7.jpg

And here's how I try to help prevent cold shuts. Along with careful forging:8.jpg

Ending up with this before going into the fire:9.jpg

Starting to make progress:

10.jpg

Getting closer:11.jpg

Almost there:13.jpg

And.......here's where I hopefully learn that I need to listen to that voice in my head a few heats ago at around 4pm when I thought to myself, "It's starting to get dark. Perhaps I should stop now."  Then I thought, "The forge is hot, let's see if these shop lights are bright enough to forge by."

And here's what happened a few heats later when I noticed this:15.jpg

Apparently I wasn't careful enough.:angry::( Fortunately it's at the tip and I've got enough left to cut it off and move on...:rolleyes:

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Bummer! :(  Always listen to that little voice.  Just like I do, the instant it's too late!  <_<  I usually hear it as the hammer is in motion, right before it hits the steel: "This is not a good idea, you should have stopped one millisecond ago... TINK!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon, all.  Hopefully you're having a better one than me.:unsure::(

Here's the update after an hour or so.

First thing to do is clean off the forge scale to see how well I did avoiding those aforementioned cold shuts.

Looking towards the tip, apparently I either didn't bevel the edges enough (as shown in post #9) or pay enough attention while forging.  Looks like I've got a bit more clean-up to do.  Hopefully they aren't too deep.

16.jpg

Here's what a cold shut looks like as you grind it away, gotta get rid of those dark lines!

17.jpg

I didn't take a picture of what the billet looked like with all the cold shuts ground out, but other than the one at the tip, they were all fairly shallow and I didn't have to remove much material for them to disappear.

Unfortunately, I came across this in the middle of the billet at the spine:blink::huh::unsure::

18.jpg

After a bit more grinding:

19.jpg

And more....20.jpg

You're getting longer, not shorter:o:(:angry:?!!?    Grrrr...... More grinding...

21.jpg

Dammit!!! It's getting longer, not shorter!!!!:angry::angry::angry:

22.jpg

*sigh*  At this point, I'm now about halfway through the billet and it's been obvious for a while that this isn't a cold shut, but rather a poor forge weld at the multi-bar/15N20 junction...

So here's where I have to put this down, re-group, and start getting ready for my annual trip to Chicago to visit my folks.  When I get back, I'll have to start from scratch.

Sorry about that all, but I have yet to achieve perfection.

Have a great end of the year all!

Stay tuned for part II....

17.jpg

19.jpg

Edited by billyO
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Bugger <_<. Paring knife it is then. Good luck on the next one. 

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

Thanks Charles.  I'll take all the help I can, be it luck or skill. 

Yesterday, I cleaned off all the scale and did an etch to see if there is salvageable material and it looks like there might be enough left  at towards the handle end  (on the left in the picture) that I can grind 3 more grooves and so I'm going to try to finish this after I get back from my annual week in Chicago.

20191220_151539a.jpg

Edited by billyO
  • Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

• 6 months later...

Hello all.  I'm sorry that this didn't end up being much of a WIP, but here is what the final product turned out to be.  I went a different direction with the pattern, and was trying to get clouds over a waterfall look. 

4.jpg

Not quite what I was hoping for, but I think I know what I need to do differently on the next one, which is to use only one piece of 1080 on the spine portion, which will give me more 15N20 to grind through, leaving more clouds.

20200505_205209a.jpg

Any comments/critiques are always welcome from you guys.

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Thanks, Alan.  

22 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

And the next one will be better!

That's the hope/plan, anyway....;)

RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

I feel your pain Billy. Still it came out well patterned and shaped.

Just took a trial of W2 and wrought from a decent size hunting blade down to a pencil size carving tool and then ditched it!

WTH! 

But learned.....again!

Gary LT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

• 4 weeks later...