Chris Christenberry

Damascus "drop-offs"

Gotta finish these two knives first, David.  Didn't hear back from you on my last text.

*wonders how the hell he missed that text*

Responding now. :ph34r:

:D:lol:

You're just too danged busy, David.  ;)

Not sure if you're still looking,  but you can always get a billet of suminagashi, although it requires better heat control and quench speed than 1080 or 1084 etc..   Something like 22 layers will give an effect similar to what you described.  If you're interested,  just copy & paste this into ebay's search: "San Mai bar stock w Takefu White Steel(Shiro2) core + 22 layer Suminagashi Outer"   (looks like there are only two left of that particular stock, but there are other ones by Hitachi which are quite a bit more pricey)

FWIW, the example knives they show in the pics are purely stock removal from a .215" thick billet, so the core steel is pretty high up and the layers are all straight.  A little bit of forging would help with both of those.  Anyway, just another option. 

~Paul

Edited by coldsteelburns

Thanks, Paul.  You know, a kind forum member offered to "fold" up a piece for me but I had a change of heart.  I realized I would be happier with the finished knife (it will be my daily carry) if I forged the Damascus myself.  I didn't want the knife to seem like it was made in a "guild".  :D  I appreciate the effort you put forth, but I think I'll just do it myself.

• Like 1