Martin Tiney

Not my pics, but worthy of posting

My son sent me the following photos the other day,he works for Highways England, they were taken on his early shift somewhere near Leicester 

IMG-20191028-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20191028-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20191028-WA0000.jpg

• Like 4

Stunning 

Fantastic shots

I've been watching the sun rise on an almost daily basis for most of my life, and it's usually over an urban landscape. 

It's really nice to see one over open country, even if it's just a photo.

Thanks Martin.

Don't thank me thank my son! I think that he did well with those shots, considering they were taken with his phone camera! 

He has a talent that I am nurturing, I'm trying to get him to use film and process it himself in my darkroom. 

Truly lovely shots!  I'm never up that early if I can help it, so it's nice to see. :lol:  As a fellow highways employee, I'm jealous of his hi-viz paint job.  Mine is just white with a strip of reflective chevron across the back. 

Good luck with the darkroom! I enjoyed mine in the days before digital, not sure I could go back now.  Well, I could if I had somewhere to set it up.  Oh, well.  

I must admit the dark room has remained dark for about 8 years,  

Kodak in there infinite wisdom dropped there Portra vc line :angry: I tried various other films but they just didn't cut it, so the Mamiya  645 medium format been mothballed and I await the rebirth of Portra vc 

On 12/22/2019 at 8:33 AM, Martin Tiney said:

Kodak in there infinite wisdom dropped their Portra vc line :angry:

Kodak, in their infinite wisdom also developed digital photography, decided it was useless tech (or was too afraid it would totally kill their film market), and sold it to Fuji. (?)

Kodak declared bankruptcy in 2012. A sad day it was.

My Hassleblad and Deardorff equipment sits quietly in the closet crying!

I have always wanted a  Hassleblad, but could never afford on, or to be honest the "BOSS" would never let me have one :o.

At this point I would like to wish everyone a happy winter Holiday      ( , not wanting to offend anyone and their beliefs) 

Drink sensibly, drive safely, enjoy having your family around you, and all the best for the new year 

50 minutes ago, Martin Tiney said:

always wanted a  Hassleblad, but could never afford on, or to be honest the "BOSS" would never let me have one 

Which is why I had a Mamiya c330 instead of a Rolleiflex (actually wanted a Mamiya RB67 instead of a Hasselblad) and a Busch Pressman D instead of a Linhof Technica...  and now they and my 35mm gear are worth their weight in potato skins, and my phone shoots better detail than the first three digital SLRs I used.  Amazing how in 1996 nobody thought digital would ever compete with medium-format film, much less 4x5 color transparencies.  Oh, well.  The Busch looks good as an antique paperweight in my office.    

Best of holidays to all, indeed!  :D 

My wife3 just complains about all the space in the closet my old equipment takes up, Alan.    Ain't technology just the Bees Knees?????

I have to store my cameras in a plastic box in the loft, not the best place for some of the older cameras, along with the 'spare' Durst enlarger!, you never know when you'll need that extra enlarger!! 

19 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

My Hassleblad and Deardorff equipment sits quietly in the closet crying!

Can't you get a digital back for the Hassy?

I didn't switch to digital until 2004 when the Canon 20D came out. It's just another paper weight now, and I have a bunch of very small memory cards that won't one day's photos now... :wacko:

Edited by Ron Benson

Last time I checked, Hasselblad was charging $5K for a back for my 500CM.  One of those  "You can have anything you want...................if you can afford it!"  kind of situations. :D

Yeah, I got all excited to find out they make a digital back that fits the standard Graphic clip back 4x5s.  Until I found it was $20K, not including the laptop required.  :o  Turns out those digital backs for medium and large format cameras are actually full-frame scanners.  Nice, but totally unnecessary for what I do.  Or did, anyway. 

Yup, Alan, I literally wet my pants when I priced a digital back for my Graphlock 4x5 back.  I sure do miss my larger format cameras.  Made my living with them.  But you know what, I honestly believe my Nikon D700 produces every bit as nice an image.  No complaints.  If I were having to meet the demands of a print editor I might be singing a different tune, but I'm happy with what I have.  Too old to ever need to upgrade.  At this point in my life it's time to start getting RID of stuff, not buy anything :D new!

Literally? :D

Edited by Charles du Preez

:D:lol::rolleyes: