nprovos

Terribly Flawed Hearth Steel Knife Giveaway

I had mentioned this on the other thread already. I made a hearth steel knife that has pretty bad welding flaws and I will not do anything with it. If anyone here would like to play with it, please read further.

The knife has a blade length of 8in and spine thickness of ~3/16in.  The tang is about that long as well - you should cut it off to whatever length you like. I am happy to ship it to the continental USA. If the shipping is not too expensive, I can ship for free but you should assume that I may ask you for $10-$20 for shipping. While the knife is free, to participate I would like you to do the following.

Tweet this video: 

with @NielsProvos and #bladesmith and then reply with a link to your tweet here. The winner will be drawn randomly*.

Here are photos of the knife but they are a little bit misleading as you cannot fully see all of the welding flaws.

IMG_20191220_192951 (1).jpgIMG_20191221_181029.jpg

Deadline to participate is the end of this year in PST.

Also, if you end up doing anything with it, share your photos.

Thanks for humoring me.

Included at 2019-12-31:

- Zeb Camper

- Joshua States

- Ryan Hobbs

- Gary LT

- Garry Keown

- Andrew W

Included without social media - who likes social media anyway?

- Will Wilcox

- Adam Weller

*: I will use a raffle ticket system where a post to social media leads to more raffle tickets than those participating without social media.

Hey Niels, is the knife still functional? Or do the flaws make it unusable?      I’m assuming it’s totally unusable but it’s worth an ask. 

I’d like to enter the giveaway but I’ve only got Instagram and no twitter. 

To my untrained eye, the blade looks awesome. :)

Edited by Conner Michaux

It's usable in the sense that it will not break under normal application but there is at least one spot where I expect a wari to be hidden. The edge is hardened but this batch of hearth steel was not super high in carbon after all the forge welding.

As for Instagram perhaps you need to also start looking into Twitter :-) I don't think that Instagram allows sharing of video. Otherwise, be creative about sharing the video. Reddit would be fine as well. 

Still an excellent knife I'd say! Looks fine to me, and likely of better quality than most hearth steel knives of antiquity. I'd love to participate, but I'm only on FB. 

Posting on FB with a link to the video would be okay as well. Just reply here with they link so I can include it in the tally. 

Good, I have Facebook so I’ll repost it there soon. Thanks. 

I like it and I think there is potential here to experiment medium/low carbon and all.

@Gary LT

@G Knives, Hand

Edited by Gary LT
Addedvideo

I'm in, and I will happily pay for the shipping.

image.png

Edited by Joshua States

Sweet, shared!

Granted, your videos are the ones I always turn to when people ask about blacksmithing!

I'll fight y'all for it. Every man brings his best seax.

Screenshot_20191223-202628.png

Having no social media at all, it breaks my heart knowing I dont have a chance, but I'll be happy for whoever wins it! Flaws or not, that's a cool knife! 

If you want to participate but don't have social media, please post your explicit interest to participate in receiving a terribly flawed knife. I will give everyone a number of raffle tickets. If you don't post to social media, it will just be less raffle tickets. That's what combining computer science with knife making gives you.

I really appreciate the offer, Niels! Thanks again. 

I have a US agent so postage would be within the US

FB Post.png

One more day if you want a chance of being the lucky winner of a terribly flawed hearth steel knife. Terrible is perhaps a little exaggerated. Fatally might be better :-)

I'm also not on twitter, so I shared the video to the 122,000-member Bladesmithing for Beginners facebook group:

image.png

I’m not really on any social media; I guess I wouldn’t make a good influencer <_< I am kinda on Instagram (@adamjweller) and I was signing up with twitter and realized half way through that I’m trying to NOT be on the computer all the time, not be on it more.

I’d love to throw at least one ticket in the pile for a chance at this, I think it really has some deep character and would look sweet with a carved handle.

Happy New Year everyone! After a very exciting random drawing, Ryan Hobbs ended up being the lucky winner of the terribly flawed hearth steel knife. Thank you all for participating and humoring me :-)

Congrats Ryan! I'm envious for sure.

Yay! I scared my wife with all my hollering and jumping when I saw this.

I've watched the making of this knife many times, so it will be awesome to actually hold and use it, despite any "terrible flaws". 

Happy new year to all, and thanks again to Niels for putting this on!

It's packaged up and will be with USPS on Monday. Enjoy! (The terrible flaws I mean)