Will Wilcox

KITH 2020

I dont know how to make this it's own category, and I didn't know where else to put it. But I just had an idea for a future KITH and I wanted to get it into writing before I forget it :D.

How about a blade (parameters to be determined) HTed and finished, but without a handle, so the recipients put the handles on, that way every entry would be a collaboration between two smiths? 

Just a thought. I think it would be a lot of fun!

• Like 4

Alan would be the one to make a new topic. I like the idea and it seems traditionally the KITH usually starts around the first of the year.

That's a pretty interesting idea.  You could even go one step further and pass the finished knife off to a 3rd random participant.  Doing so would require tighter adherence to deadlines, however.

I'm not trying to pitch this idea, it just popped into my head when I read Will's.

Personally I'm not a fan, but remind me tomorrow and I'll set up the 2020 subforum.  Happy New Year, y'all!

I usually finish the profile once the scales are on(on full tang), but if that's what's voted, I intend to not miss this KITH.:lol: Commissions have finally slowed down. 

I was thinking about making something that could be used for knife making, or rather sheath making. I would suggest a leather worker's knife for the 2020 KITH.

Head knife, Skiving knife, Tooling knife, groover, edger, etc. Get ourselves in the "make your own tools" mindset.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I like that idea. :D    I think it would be really cool to make gunstock war clubs for kith, I was already planning on making one this year.  

And it seems like it’s a simple weapon,a spear head (or 2) on a gunstock shaped shaft. And an option of any other fancy leather straps/pins/animal hides.  I don’t know how expensive it would be to ship but I think it would be cool.   That project would have many aspects of our craft into it.  Just an idea :lol:

Edited by Conner Michaux

I am all for something practical, usable, (knife, tool), in whatever we decide.

Looking at Tiaan’s folding Seax, I also would like to make one. (Though it won’t be a work of art as his). Perhaps, this could be a Kith idea, 

Gary LT

5 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

@Alan Longmire - Reminder as requested.

Ha! I'm on it...

17 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

I don’t know how expensive it would be to ship but I think it would be cool.

My hawks typically ship for $35 - $45.  Then again, I build a nifty wooden crate for them, which adds weight.  But you just about have to do that, since the postal service gets really cranky if a blade pokes out the side of a box they're handling.  I can't imagine why...:rolleyes:

A gunstock war club would be lighter than a hawk, but they're usually longer, and for some reason USPS doesn't offer a flat rate box in axe/club sizes.  And UPS and FedEx have both told me flat out they will not ship axes or other weapon-like objects, period.  

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

since the postal service gets really cranky if a blade pokes out the side of a box they're handling.

Who would have thought!?!:lol::P .      Another idea, We could all find a picture of a historical blade (the rusty ones in museums and collections) from any time period and recreate it as best we can. I think that would be fun. 

I just thought I would bump this to see if there are any more thoughts on what the KITH should be this year.

I'm up for just about anything, but I really like Josh's idea of a handmade leatherworking tool. 

A gunstock war club would be cool though.......:ph34r:

Im down for anything, but I’d say let’s get a few more ideas on the table. 

I still really want to make a war club though.. :lol:;)

a leather tool is totally fine with me if that’s what we choose, I’m going to start making sheaths soon. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

A leather working tool is fine for me, even though I don't play much with leather. 

I don't know if kitchen knives have been a KITH so far but that's one thing I can do relatively well, though it would not get me out of my comfort zone. 

Edit: ok, it was done in 2017. Too bad

Edited by Joël Mercier

11 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

though it would not get me out of my comfort zone.

I think this is one of the best things about KITH. Getting people out  of their comfort zone and spurring them to light the creative lamp.

3 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I think this is one of the best things about KITH. Getting people out  of their comfort zone and spurring them to light the creative lamp.

Indeed, and I'm sad I missed the folder KITH for that reason. 

On 1/2/2020 at 11:33 AM, Gary LT said:

I am all for something practical, usable, (knife, tool), in whatever we decide.

Looking at Tiaan’s folding Seax, I also would like to make one. (Though it won’t be a work of art as his). Perhaps, this could be a Kith idea, 

Gary LT

I have been absent from the forums for quite some time, missed it to be honest, but I am back now... a usable tool, knife, plane blades, chisel, or some other functional blade item would be good. 

How about a single fixed blade multi-tool that must be able to perform at least three functions.   I have been toying with the idea of a kiridashi with bottle opener and magnesium rod fire starter.

I like the idea of tools, another idea: how about a camp/bushcraft blade with a flint and fire steel with a small tin of some char cloth.. basically a nice fire kit. 

Or a seax.. :lol:

What about a camp axe/hatchet?

If anyone doesn't have the ability to punch an eye I might be able to help them a bit with the power hammer?;)

I’m down for a hatchet, I’ve been wanting to make one. But mine will be one solid piece of steel instead of being folded or drifted. 

An integral handled hatchet would be cool. My brother wants me to make one for him. 

I don’t comment much on the forum (mostly just read and learn), but I would like to get in on this year’s KITH. I don’t have any other suggestions. I just wanted to put it out there to commit myself to the project.