Sign in to follow this  
Aiden CC

First Hatchet WIP

Looks great and really good job on the handle.

Speaking of handles, look at the small-by-modern-standards handle on that one Jake posted. Handles on older axes are far smaller that the mighty timbers we put on them today.  I've seen 18th century hatchets of 2lb head weight with a 1 inch wide by a scant 3/8" thick handle. Full sized felling axes with 1.5" wide by 1/2" thick handles.  These were guys who knew wood and how to use it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Speaking of handles, look at the small-by-modern-standards handle on that one Jake posted. Handles on older axes are far smaller that the mighty timbers we put on them today.  I've seen 18th century hatchets of 2lb head weight with a 1 inch wide by a scant 3/8" thick handle. Full sized felling axes with 1.5" wide by 1/2" thick handles.  These were guys who knew wood and how to use it.

That helps reduce the shock on your hands, right? I did get he handle thinner than what you would get on a hatchet from the hardware store, but it's not quite that thin!

It reduces shock and, more importantly, weight.  They were carrying these things for miles and months at a time, and every ounce counted.  

Head, handle, sheath - they all turned out really well!

@Aiden CC This is a lovely piece, all the elements look great. I have ambitions of doing an axe/hatchet one day. Really like the shape of the head.