first full tang WIP

had some time on Christmas to do a little forging so I decided to try and forge out my first full tang blade. gotta say i'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so far.  I used a 1 1/4" x 5" x 3/8" piece of leaf spring and ended up with a blade that has a .225 thick spine at the ricasso, a 5 1/4" cutting edge and is just under 10 1/4" oal.  was able to get the distal taper in the blade and the tang, forged in the bevels and made sure it was completely straight. first time I remembered to get all that done in the same blade.:D

here are some pics right after it was forged.

dMVj0iNh.jpg

VGq1wtFh.jpg

and here are some pics after I profiled it and did some light grinding.

29JoIAeh.jpg

rnkeFZih.jpg

i love the look of Brute de forge knives so I'm probably not going to go any higher with the grind. and before heat treat i'll need to pop it back into the forge and try and re-texture the ricasso area as it got cleaned up some when I flattened the tang.  i'm thinking maybe bone for the scales and copper pins, but haven't decided for sure yet.

• Like 1

Thanks y'all!

was able to re texture the ricasso area this evening. as soon as i have time i'll finish grinding it and then try for the heat treat.

2 minutes ago, Zane Thompson said:

Thanks y'all!

was able to re texture the ricasso area this evening. as soon as i have time i'll finish grinding it and then try for the heat treat.

Drill your pin holes before HT.

• Like 1