Conner Michaux

Ever restored an old kitchen knife?

Ive got the idea a few months back to "restore" an old dexter meat cleaver, Im not sure where to start though, and I was wondering if any of you have ever tried. 

I guess my description of restore is to resharpen, repolish and re bevel if necessary, then lap a handle on it. Basically just clean it up a bit and polish.

I was wondering where to look to find an old kitchen knife other than eBay, And what to look for when buying something to restore.  I got the inspiration from a guy I follow on social media, he does some amazing work. https://www.instagram.com/upbeatvintage/?hl=en   

Any pointers for trying out something like this?

Salvation Army recycling stores are a good place to pick up old utensils like that.  I found an old bread knife that I turned into a filet knife once.  Turned out nice and only cost me one dollar plus my time.........oh and a nice piece of Coco-Bolo for a handle.

Thanks, I’ve got a few of those stores around me, I’ll take a look. I’m looking for really vintage knives, not total rust buckets but not in super great condition. 

The one I found had a lot of patina..............no rust..............reminded me of the one my Grandma used to have in her drawer.

I'm a few days late to the party, but I start a project like that by asking if I am looking to preserve a piece of history, or am I looking to bring new utility to an old blade.

If I am preserving, then I do as little as possible.  This is probably not the type of project you are looking for.

If I want to give a blade a new life, I tend to remove the handle material and start with the blade as if I had just gotten to the finish grinding stage with one I forged from scratch.  (ie everything post heat treating)  That includes extensive reshaping of the blade profile if I want to .