Chris Christenberry

With or without a sheath?

I’ll expand on what Alex said. I just got more serious about leatherwork myself. A 4 prong punch and a 1 prong punch are going to do better than a stitching wheel. I would put a 2 prong punch with that though. For curves and tight spots. Also a stitch groover is a must. Makes things look better as Alan said. As far as kits go, don’t buy one of the cheap ones off amazon or ebay. I fell into that trap myself. Buy your tooling tools individually. From tandy, springfield or weaver. They might be 7 to 10 dollars apiece but they are decent quality for the most part. Barry King is top of the line stuff. About $30 per tool or more. Old stuff from ebay will probably be good stuff. This is a rabbit hole to fall into just like forging. But it’s a lot of fun. I hope this helps!

Jon

Every bit of advice helps.  Thanks.

18 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

I kinda feel as if I've been "taken"! ;)  You guys are terrible.

Happy New Year to you too, Garry.  Don't hurt yourself or anyone else tonight! :lol:  (or whenever your New Years Eve is!)

I stopped seeing in the new year many years ago and was in bed by 10 as per normal. Ours day/date (and consequently the new year) is always a day ahead of most of the world east of New Zealand. Woke new years day to a very sepia toned morning with the smoke from the Australian bush fires streaming down across the Tasman sea and blanketing the South of the country. 

I know what you mean, Garry.  We turned off the television by 10:00 New Years Eve.  Only thing on the schedule today is to go to David Mooneyham's place to get two blades heat treated. 

As far as I know, Dave Lisch doesn't do leather work and he has no problems selling his knives.....:ph34r:

Larry Harley didn't do sheaths either, he contracted them out with a saddler from Texas.  A lot of the bigger names do that, and it makes sense when you get to the point that your sheaths start dragging down your knives.  There are pro leatherworkers for good reason, but it's not my knives so far. :lol:

37 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Larry Harley didn't do sheaths either, he contracted them out with a saddler from Texas.  A lot of the bigger names do that, and it makes sense when you get to the point that your sheaths start dragging down your knives.  There are pro leatherworkers for good reason, but it's not my knives so far. :lol:

It is a matter of balancing the quality of the sheath to the quality of the knife and if one outshines the other then there is a loss of visual pleasure as well as the perceived value. 

Interesting comments, guys.  I'm soaking it all up on my end.

i use a compass to mark the grove and spacing 1/16 drill bit to make the holes go back with a v grover made from small diameter garage door spring then its waxed thread of choice and twin needles followed by some edge trim with the belt grinder or bandsaw if i left a lot on and then to the home made edger/beveler as i broke my moms old one and tandy doesn't make the same quality they used to just some round stock tweaked and hear treated to do the job then you can slick the edge or not to preference