Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn Gylfason

First attempt at a bastard sword

Hello, new here and wanted to show off my latest build. Just recently got a power hammer and the amount of metal it can move inspired me to try making bigger blades.

Blade is spring steel recycled from old agricultural equipment. With closer forging I might be able to go bigger with those springs but not by much

Crossguard and pommel made from, quite possibly medieval, wrought iron that I got a bar of from a friend that had gotten it out of a church built 1150

Handle leather over beech core

Weight: 1193grams
Oal: 107 cm
Blade length: 87cm
Pob: 16cm from guard
Cop: 56cm from guard
Blade width at base 43mm
7,5mm thick at base

I'm still a rank amateur so any constructive criticism is welcome

IMG_20200102_111954867.jpg

• Like 1

That's a nice introduction!  You've obviously been following the work of Peter Johnsson, too.  It looks great from here, I must say.  As long as you got the heat treatment right, I say good job. B)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's a nice introduction! 

Yes indeed. Welcome aboard Bjorn. 

Not being anything other than a rank amateur at swords myself, there's not much I can offer in terms of constructive criticism.

The only thing I can offer is in the handle where the leather wrap rolls up on the ends. Was that intentional? I usually see that tucked in and under the guard or pommel.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's a nice introduction!  You've obviously been following the work of Peter Johnsson, too.  It looks great from here, I must say.  As long as you got the heat treatment right, I say good job. B)

Thank you. Yes I've been looking at his work for some time now, always good to have something great to strive for. The heat treat was interesting but manageable, for future projects I will definently want to build a vertical forge dedicated to heat treating long blades

29 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Yes indeed. Welcome aboard Bjorn. 

Not being anything other than a rank amateur at swords myself, there's not much I can offer in terms of constructive criticism.

The only thing I can offer is in the handle where the leather wrap rolls up on the ends. Was that intentional? I usually see that tucked in and under the guard or pommel.

It was intentional yes. I peened and wedged the crossguard solidly to the blade and then peened the pommel to the tang before fitting the wooden core halves around the tang to make the assembly as solid a possible. I have next to no experience with leather so that wrapping was by far the most frustrating part of the process, specially because I decided to tuck the edges of the leather. This wrap is meh at best but I think with a bit more practice a tucked in edge makes the handle look more finished

4 minutes ago, Bjorn Gylfason said:

I have next to no experience with leather so that wrapping was by far the most frustrating part of the process

I have only done one of these handles, so I feel your pain. I was lucky enough to do mine under the supervision of Matthew Parkinson, in a classroom setting. My pommel is removable, held on by a threaded end nut and tang. 

I have done two of those handles with the pommel peened, and yes, the ends are a pain!

No criticism from me, that is really good work. If that’s your first bring on the second and third I say.

• Like 1

Beautiful work, definitely not a rank amateur attempt!  For the leather wrap, I peen the pommel as it was traditionally done, but to make my life easier I shave the diameter of the wooden handle thinner than the pommel's  base diameter so that when the leather is added it is flush with the pommel, make sense?

• Like 1

That's a cracking looking piece. Congratulations.