Sign in to follow this  
JPH

First Sword of 2020..Book IV Piece

Posted (edited)

Hello:

Here is the first sword I finished in 2020...The blade is 1070..the Hamon.. well,  I  dunno what to call it... Togari Gunome maybe??  finished with temple lion motif fittings from my art foundry guys in Taiwan..They do a great job..yes they do!! Much better than an old ham handed  reprobate like I could do..... Black samegawa under that black and gold Chevron Tsuka-ito that I adore..  This is another proto for book IV which is coming along splendidly even if I do say so myself.. 

The siya is black lacquer that I dripped/ "flicked" Testors model airplane paint  (metallic gold) on and then sealed with  6 coats of hard, clear lac.. I got the idea from a siya that one of my friends down here showed me a while back...turned out non too shabby but there is still room to improve on that...I do know I need to find a better price on that stuff..it is $$$...Hope the photos work out...

Note: This Hamon didn't turn out like I wanted.. I was going for more of a crashing/breaking ocean wave/surf sort of thing but that isn't what happened.. Like I have said before...Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted to..

Happy 2020...

JPH

DSC05846A.jpg

DSC05834A.jpg

DSC05844A.jpg

DSC05819A.jpg

DSC05817.jpg

Edited by JPH
  • Like 10

Lots to like but that hamon defines that blade.

Almost looks like spots of hitatsura on the blade. I have a late Koto/early Shinto katana with quite a bit of hitatsura, which I believe is Japanese for "Oh, crap, half my clay fell off." I really like the look you've gotten here, and I do see what you were going for. If you've been at Peggy's Cove near the rocks up here, definitely things get that wild at times.

Al:  yeah..  the Hamon isn't a total pooch..but it isn't what I was going for but it did work up to a point......so back at it one more time...I will figure it out..Just wish that Bob E. was still with us..Between the two of us, he and I could figure most anything out as far as these things go..

Working on a couple more of these for book IV as well...should have them done in a few weeks..

JPH

I hear ya, we've all got friends on the other side we really wish we could spend five more minutes with to get advice...thinking here of my old buddy Nate Cohen, master engraver, machinist and silversmith. 

What am I seeing on the habaki, Jim?  Openwork?  Looks interesting!

Alan:

No open work.. it is black enamel ..when it is fully polished up the black and gold colours tie in with the general theme colours of the Ito...

JPH

Ah, gotcha.  Thanks, it does tie it together nicely. 

Really beautiful sword.  Masterful, even  if you say it's not right.

Stunning piece. Although my knowledge on swords is less than I'd like I find that hamon attractive as hell. 

Thanks for sharing. 

I recall a post by you saying you were done doing Japanese blades after you did a ton of them ( The number escapes me but it was like 10-20 of them ) for your next book. 

Yet here you are doing them, and doing them in a stunning and awe inspiring way. 

I am not complaining mind you, that blade is gorgeous as is everything you make.

Hello:

Actually it is 125..and I still have three  numbers left to fill which I am going to build as time allows while working on book IV prototype photos and techniques... As it is it is a bunch of blades..  JPH