Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn Gylfason

A steampunky cutlass

I hope it won't feel too much spamming but thinking about going through my finished shelf and make a few posts about those I'm comfortable with showing others

This is my first forged sword. When I began straightening out and beating on the leaf spring I didn't really have any clear idea about what I was attempting to make. Ideas went from a messer to dao to elven and ended up as a cutlass with a bit of steampunk vibe to it.

Overall lenght is 770mm

Blade length is 625mm

34mm wide at the base

7mm thick at the guard and tapers down to 3mm 30mm from the tip

Weight is 1016grams and the pob is 10cm from the guard

Bevels are flat ground from edge to back

Had a piece of stabilized and smoked oak for the handle and decided to try out fluting that came out okayish. Single strands of copper wire inlayed in the handle as I didn't find thin enough copper wire to twist at the time.

Guard is mild steel and copper that got a coat of gunblue

IMG_20200104_172942097.jpg

IMG_20200104_172835287.jpg

IMG_20200104_172813665.jpg

IMG_20200104_172803726.jpg

IMG_20200104_172705017.jpg

IMG_20200104_172637121.jpgspan widgetspan widget

• Like 4

Keep them coming!  I like that one as well.  The grip may be a bit long, but I like the vibe.  "Steampunkish" is about right. B)  And is that a power hammer in the background?  

• Like 1

Yes, I'm still slowly figuring out how big or small handles should be but pretty sure I'll get it eventually. 

And yes that's the hammer :D it's a 50kg VEB

IMG_20191123_164007498.jpg

That's pretty cool.  I like the steampunk vibe.  You cold carry that look into the scabbard in a lot of ways.

• Like 2

I like it..A LOT!! But...it would be drop dead gorgeous with a PW blade...with a nice fuller down the back....  still  it looks great..

JPH

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

That's pretty cool.  I like the steampunk vibe.  You cold carry that look into the scabbard in a lot of ways.

I really need to make a scabbard for it eventually, just haven't yet found good info on how to make a metal one

8 hours ago, JPH said:

I like it..A LOT!! But...it would be drop dead gorgeous with a PW blade...with a nice fuller down the back....  still  it looks great..

JPH

Thank you :) Haven't done any real forge welding to date but that really sparked an idea in my head for more ornate one in this style

I like this one a lot, making a cutlass is something I´ve wanted to do for years now.

I also like these power hammers, I´ve seen them pop up on second hand sites and always loved how they look.