Gary Mulkey

Canister Practice

In preparation for my upcoming classes, I decided to refresh my canister skills.  This billet is made of multiple scraps of Damascus that were laying around my shop.  I then squared & 4-wayed them as well as wrapping them with a traditional "W" pattern on all sides.  I have no idea what this will look like but that's part of the fun of Damascus.:D  Anyway, this one is mainly just to re-acquaint myself with canister (canoe) work before my students arrive.

In the past I have always made the canoe from a piece of square tubing which I sawed & welded to size.  This time I'm using a  piece of  2" C-channel with a piece of 1 3/4" flat bar for a cap.  MUCH EASIER!  [note the orientation arrows on each component]

I'll try to get this welded tomorrow and maybe forged into a blade. (If I'm feeling energetic.:D

canister practice_opt

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gary Mulkey said:

scraps of Damascus that were laying around

God, I sure hope I can say that some day..............especially say it as nonchalantly as you just did.  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Christenberry said:

God, I sure hope I can say that some day..............especially say it as nonchalantly as you just did.  :D

Don't worry, you will. I think they are self reproducing sometimes. I find piles of them in odd corners of the shop...….

Looking good Gary. I love making scrapmascus.

• Like 1

Welded.  Using the C-channel worked like a charm.

The steel definitely has a different pattern (as many made from scrap do).

IMG_7636_optIMG_7648_opt

• Like 1

It looks like you planned that out. People will be asking you how to make that pattern!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 1:19 AM, Chris Christenberry said:

I can't even manage one of the little pieces, never mind combining several :lol:

Excellent as always Gary, can't wait to see the end result B)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I decided to make small gentlemen's Bowies from this billet.  Hopefully I'll have enough steel for two with six inch blades.

For the first I started with some handle work.  The interior squares of the raised checkering will get some silver wire inlay.

IMG_7650_optIMG_7652_opt

IMG_7655_opt

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 2

I got blade #1 almost ready for H/T.  I changed my mind on the handle for it.  I think that I'll go with a sub-hilt.

IMG_7708_opt

• Like 3

Now that I have the blade H/T'ed & tempered, my next project is to drill & pin, saw, mill and grind these two chunks of 416 into a sub-hilt guard.  Here's a rough sketch of my handle concept:

IMG_7781_opt

IMG_7774_opt

That is a fun bit of inletting you'll have to do where the wood meat the guard.  Should look pretty sharp.  You mention pins.  Is that how you are joining the two 416 bits together?

I'm leaving town in a couple of hours to head towards Branson.  See you tomorrow!

6 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

That is a fun bit of inletting you'll have to do where the wood meat the guard.  Should look pretty sharp.  You mention pins.  Is that how you are joining the two 416 bits together?

I'm leaving town in a couple of hours to head towards Branson.  See you tomorrow!

Since the rear piece of 416 won't have an entire tang slot to hold it in place I'll need to pin it both to the rest of the guard and to the handle block.  

See you soon.

This one has been on the back burner for a while but I've now got the blade ready for hand sanding and the handle parts roughed out: 

IMG_7979_opt

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 3

Watchin, as I always do on your projects

.gif

• Like 1

Looking good Gary.

• Like 1

Well once again I decided that I wasn't satisfied with the handle for this blade so I got started on making #3.  I guess that I'm getting a little fussy in my old age but if it doesn't feel right, I'm not going to finish it. 

I went with a more traditional look this time which should appeal to a higher percentage of customers.  Since I'm planning on taking this one to The Arkansas Show, that should be a good thing. 

Here are the components roughed out & ready for sand & polish:

IMG_8007_opt

IMG_7999_opt

• Like 3

That looks great. I like the shape of the revised handle and the curves to the guard are spot on to the eye. 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

While I like where you are going (particularly the guard), I really was looking forward to see what you were going to do with the first inlaid coffin handle. Hope you will use it in one of your other excellent period pieces.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

While I like where you are going (particularly the guard), I really was looking forward to see what you were going to do with the first inlaid coffin handle. Hope you will use it in one of your other excellent period pieces.

I'm sure that I will.