Posted (edited)

Over the years, I have inherited a bunch of open end/box end wrenches.  I've got all the sets of wrenches I need in the tool box in my truck, in the tool bag for my trailer, in my main shop and now in my forge.  I've still got a table with lots of wrenches that are duplicates.  Hate to throw them away.  Would they make good Damascus?  What would I do, cut them up and make canister Damascus out of them?

Edited by Chris Christenberry

They are not likely to be good blade material, but they should be good for misc. other tools.  Or it you really want them in a blade, just make sure they aren't on the edge.  

Page 3 down toward the bottom, by Dan Bourlotos

:blink::o:P

Er, uh, wasn't really what I had in mind, Josh.  Think I'll take Jerrod's advice. :D

Watch out for chromium poisoning if you forge them.

I'm just going to make certain every one of my "many" tool boxes and bags have complete inventories of them and I'll throw the rest in a box in case I break one in the future.  (although I've never broken a wrench in my lifetime!) :D  My wife says I'm a hoarder! :ph34r:

59 minutes ago, SteveShimanek said:

Watch out for chromium poisoning if you forge them.

To add to this, never forge any plated metal.  The chrome plate itself isn't that bad unless you arc weld it (which can produce hexavalent chromium, the poisonous kind), it's the underplating that can get you.  If it's just the usual nickel or copper first and second layer, no huge deal.  If it's cadmium, one wrong breath can lead to a coffin.  If it's zinc chromate (the gold stuff that looks just like cadmium) it's similar to galvanizing.  These last two are not often used in chrome plating, but do occur on tools on their own.  Cadmium is more common on stuff from between about 1950-1977.  

All that said, I have a bunch of wrenches that predate plating, so they'd be fine to forge if I got the notion.  

Also, they may be better to trade with other people for other tools you need, or old files for blades.  

Good idea, Jerrod..............only I'm seldom around other people. :D  You might say I'm kind of a hermit.

I wonder how many times I've poisoned myself in this journey :ph34r:

On 1/6/2020 at 7:30 PM, Chris Christenberry said:

Er, uh, wasn't really what I had in mind, Josh.  Think I'll take Jerrod's advice. :D

I have that knife.