Sign in to follow this  
Don Abbott

Triplets for Christmas

Been a long time since I've posted any finished work, but here are three I made for a customer for Christmas:

www2_all three.jpg

1084 with bone slabs and G-10 spacers.

A lot of firsts here for me. Trying to make three identical knives was a good challenge and learning experience. These are the closest thing to a "contemporary" piece I have ever made. My first foray into well defined riccasos and plunge lines. I got the order in Sept/Oct... finished them the night of December 22. Need to work on time management.

I learned a lot about how valuable "truly flat" really is. I learned the worth of 36 and 60 grit ceramic belts. Learned a lot about fit & finish.

www3_single.jpg

www1_sheaths.jpg

www4_single and sheath.jpg

My customer seemed really pleased. He ordered three more before November.

I should probably start them before October.

• Like 4

Very nice Don.  Crisp and clean.  Hopefully you made a template so the next 3 will be indentical to these.  I hear you on the time management.  I'm making a retirement gift for the president of the company that I work for that has to be done by the end of April.  I was going to start it 3 weeks ago, but it seems like there's always something else that needs to be done first.

They look great, Don!

A departure from your (and my!) usual, but very well executed.   

I like them very much.

Thanks for the kind comments.

21 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Hopefully you made a template so the next 3 will be indentical to these.

I sure did. I had drawn a profile, so I printed it out, spray mounted it to some roofing tin, and cut it out with the snips.

Another exercise that was helpful: Years ago I heard Ron (Bowie) Claiborne recommend practicing your grinding with wood blanks. Now one thing I hate is sticking a finished blade into a damp leather sheath, even if it is wrapped. Seems like I always get a smudge or crud of some kind to deal with. So I thought I would take care of that problem by taking Ron's advice and grinding some wood dummies... good grinding practice and good sheath forms. I also ground out a couple faux slabs to hold the shape in the leather. I kept the sheath pattern too, so I should have all I need for duplication.

IMG_20200108_200444093.jpg

21 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

They look great, Don!

A departure from your (and my!) usual, but very well executed.   

That's definitely true, but I'm right now hollerin' out some whitetail antler beams that are just begging for some poured pewter!