Gerhard Gerber

Monkey on my back

14 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Adam, does this improve after a person quits?

EVERYTHING improves when you quit.

Not sure if that's a good thing, but my libido went through the roof :lol:

Biggest change for me was a relief from skin conditions.

Knowing all this I find it even more unbelievable I started again....

14 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

First off - It is never to late to quit smoking.

To answer your question: yes and no...

Smoking causes all kinds of problems: inflammation of the lung tissues, thicker mucous production, decreased ciliary movement (the little hairs that help bring stuff back up out of the lungs). These things have been shown to repair themselves after you quit, not to mention the general decrease in Carbon Monoxide taking place of oxygen molecules in the blood...

My dad's been struggling with heart issues the last few months, first got a stent and most recently had ablation done.

Not like I don't have an example of what not to do and the consequences..... :(

• Like 1

Gerhard, it took me two tries to finally quit for good. Both times were unplanned and began while sick in bed for a few days, not smoking at all. I figured, hey, three days without a smoke - why not take advantage of this head start in the process and just stop altogether?

The single most helpful thing I found was to replace the smoking with something positive. In my case it was an exercise program.

Can't say I don't sometimes miss a smoke. My wife smokes, but only a couple of cigarettes after dinner. I just don't have the ability to do that - I know that for me, one or two would escalate quickly to a pack a day.

Good luck

Saludos

J

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JDWare said:

The single most helpful thing I found was to replace the smoking with something positive. In my case it was an exercise program.

That's why  I mentioned my Achilles tendon issue, between what happened at work, working halfday and making knives for the rest, I descended into a world of not sleeping properly, sitting for 5 hours follow by standing the the shop for 3-4 hours, breathing in shit.

Next was a shower followed by beer(s)

Thanks to the tendon even if I could make myself take the dog for a walk, I'd be cripple by the end of that.

Halfday half pay, so LCHF (expensive) went out the window and started shoveling carb comfort food in my face.

I'm not smoking during working hours which is not something I could do before, but I know this will change if I leave it too long.

I found the root cause for the tendon issue a few weeks ago, it's steadily improving so I'm hopeful.

Also put my foot down this weekend and resumed the diet I know works, cutting back on the beer and I feel a lot better already, no energy dips during the day.

It has helped packing out here, to realize again many are fighting the same fight and winning, sad to get all the good advice I know already and finding myself back in the fight anyway.

Give the demon a name so you can fight it.

Sometimes you just have to decide you're a bigger, badder son of a bitch than the demon.  

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:33 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Sometimes you just have to decide you're a bigger, badder son of a bitch than the demon.  

I'd modify this only by saying "realize" instead of decide....

There's a lot of alcohol addiction in my family history.  I honestly understand what it takes to beat it..........................most aren't able to.  I found myself drinking far too much (maybe not by some people's standards but it seemed too much to me)  I finally looked at the glass recycling tub and realized how many "empties" of Crown Royal there were in it.............and how I'd be embarrassed for anyone to see that.  I hadn't been feeling good, so I decided "my liver is arguing with me over the booze" and stopped cold turkey.  That was Christmas Eve 2018.  Had some Egg Nog this Christmas Eve and it made me kind of sick to my stomach.  That was a true sign it was over.  Sometimes you just have to admit and then do something about it.  Is it easy?  Do I point fingers at those who can't quit?  Nope.  Everyone has their demons.........everyone.  Might not be booze.  Might be addicted to work.  Heck, an addiction is an addiction.  Every individual just has to make up their mind they are going too do something about it...............no-one else can do that for them.  Good for you if you've beat an addiction.  May God Bless you if you still have one you need to beat.  My 2 cents worth.

• Like 2

I realized, like 9 years ago, to stop smoking I need to cut out the booze.

So I had my last beer on Tuesday, and the bag of rolling tobacco will be empty today, guess I can get 2 or 3 more rollies out of there and then it's over....

Had to reach Friday because my colleagues are feeling special needs again and my tolerance for laziness and stupidity evaporated a few years ago already :P

I know it takes 2-3 weeks to get over the cravings completely, so I guess it's Sober February rather than Sober October, it will suck :lol: