Questions for the file masters

Joshua States

Completely missed this thread....

I bought 3 new Pherds to level up my draw filing game, then realized my first set of no-name brand files were passed their sell-by date.

The tool shop where I get them stocks a huge selection,  if I buy them without a handle the Pherds are reasonably priced and I know when they are dull, they can be turned into knives.

There's a smaller 1st cut halfround that sticks around for handle fine tuning, the new one bites a bit deep at times....

• 6 months later...

Found these a couple days ago. The rasp on the right is 16”. Some manufacturers I haven’t heard of. Kearney & foot, McCaffrey and Johnson. All are made in USA. I know the Nicholson and Simonds are good steel but what about these three? I got them only for the steel. They are pretty worn out.

AB9B529A-B29F-4C81-9ECF-B014ADADE6A3.jpeg

and what about that narrow file fourth from the right? What is it? It’s a Nicholson USA but I never seen one like it. The front and back and one edge is flat but one edge is rounded. Thanks for looking

I don't know those other brands, but the Made in USA means good steel, at least on the big cabinet rasp.  The hoof rasp may or may not be, but most likely is.

The skinny one is a pillar file.  I forget exactly what they're for, but I remember the shape.  Maybe keyways?  

Thanks Alan. I’ll keep that one just because it’s different. After I cleaned them up several still had some life. I’ll keep those as well. I plan to use the rasps for wood and hot work. There’s a website, American made files, that had some information about the three manufacturers. Basically they’re all old companies that were mostly bought out by Nicholson in the early 1900’s.

I also use one of those big 16' rasps, they are monsters in wood work. I have two of them and have designated one for hot rasping and the other for heavy wood removal. I had believed those big rasps were some part of the farriers trade because of how similar the teeth are to a farriers rasp.  Those are easily a mate to a draw knife.