I'm disappointed

I'm hoping this has nothing to do with me.  I sold a 2 day class to a local woman for her husband.  I was looking forward to another chance to expose someone to what we do, and the chance of learning something from a student, which happens nearly every time.  A couple of weeks go by and then I get an angry sounding call from the student saying that the class was not something he was interested in and wanting her money back.

I'm pretty sure that there is something going between them, but it's hard not to second guess yourself.  

And it's snowing.  I gotta go feed the ponies.

Blah!

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Keyes

I'm a teacher, Geoff and I learned a long, long time ago not to take that sort of thing personally.  (unless they directly say it was about you)  Some people bite off a larger chunk than they meant to.  And, as you mentioned, it may well have been a problem between the two of them.  No need to be disappointed.

It sounds like she took a guess, signed him up without asking him, and missed the mark.   It doesn't speak well of their relationship, but certainly not something that reflects poorly on you.

It is a shame that the student probably doesn't even know what he is missing.  Even is smithing isn't for them, a 2-day class would be full of memories.

Refund the money, wish them the best, and be glad you aren't in their shoes.

Yeah, work with a non-refundable deposit to sign up for a class, which is sufficient to cover any costs you may have made in case of cancellation. And if he passes up a chance to do a course in bladesmithing, then that's definitely his loss and him being an idiot. What person doesn't want to learn to beat and shape hot steel, play with fire and make sharp implements? That's like saying you don't like food or something :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

It sounds like she took a guess, signed him up without asking him, and missed the mark.   It doesn't speak well of their relationship, but certainly not something that reflects poorly on you.

It is a shame that the student probably doesn't even know what he is missing.  Even is smithing isn't for them, a 2-day class would be full of memories.

Refund the money, wish them the best, and be glad you aren't in their shoes.

Exactly. You might've even dodged a bullet if they are riding those kinds of bad vibes.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that is all stuff I needed to hear.  We held onto the payment, so the refund is no big deal.  I was looking forward to spending the $, but, oh well.

Geoff

• Like 1
On 1/17/2020 at 12:14 AM, Geoff Keyes said:

Thanks guys, that is all stuff I needed to hear.  We held onto the payment, so the refund is no big deal.  I was looking forward to spending the $, but, oh well.

Geoff

If I were you, I would contact the woman who paid you and write the check to her. Just saying.