Classes Start Tomorrow

Gary Mulkey

Tomorrow my little shop turns into a working classroom as my first two students arrive to learn some of my Damascus techniques.  Tomorrow their goal will be to design & build a mosaic billet and cut it into tiles ready for the canister which they will weld up on Saturday and forge into a blade to take home with them.

IMG_7782_opt

IMG_7787_opt

The propane tank is full and I have a good supply of 1080 & 15N20.  Time to make some steel!

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 3

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

"Tenny bit" Heck!  I'm danged jealous.  I'm a long way from being qualified to attend one of Gary's classes, but hopefully someday..............................

• Like 1

Chris

www.chrischristenberry.com

WHEW!!!  If I could only know now what I "thought" I knew back then....................

19 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

A teeny bit jealous... ;)  Y'all have fun!

One of the students is a forum member.  The other a bladesmith here in Branson at Silver Dollar City.  It should be a good time!

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Class dismissed:

Both participants left with a smile on their face, numerous new skills and a quality mosaic blade.

IMG_7814_opt

IMG_7818_opt

I thoroughly enjoyed the class and look forward to doing it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Dang, that's a nice looking pattern.  Well done, guys.

• Like 1

Chris

WHEW!!!  If I could only know now what I "thought" I knew back then....................

Just chillin' in the hotel room after two great days with Gary.  This was well worth the trip out here, and Gary had done a great job planning out the two days.  I've done a fair amount of pattern welding, and even some mosaic work, but Gary managed to squeeze a lot more knowledge into the old noggin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Brian

I surely do envy you.  Gary's a great guy.  Just wish I "qualified" for one of his classes.

Chris

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Just chillin' in the hotel room after two great days with Gary.  This was well worth the trip out here, and Gary had done a great job planning out the two days.  I've done a fair amount of pattern welding, and even some mosaic work, but Gary managed to squeeze a lot more knowledge into the old noggin.

Thanks, Brian.  I thoroughly enjoyed working with you.

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

• 2 weeks later...

Sure am glad I quit drinking a year ago.  That pattern would have made me think I'd gone off the deep end!!!!! ;):D

Seriously, I like that pattern.  Makes me cross-eyed.  Cool!

• Like 1

Chris

On 2/1/2020 at 10:47 PM, Gary Mulkey said:

Looks good!  What type of hilt will you give it?

I'm not sure yet.  I found a weld flaw along the spine which pushed me to toward a harpoon tip design, so I think the fittings will have to be something rather modern looking.  I've got some 416 round bar hanging around, and I thought I might forge some of that into a guard of some sort.

• Like 1

-Brian