Conner Michaux

Bushcraft-ish wip

Heat treat take 3 is a success. I’ve been running the file along the entire edge constantly and I cannot detect any softness.  If this Hamon touches the edge again I will most definitely whack it with a sledge hammer. And probably with great joy :lol:     Let’s hope not though!!!

• Like 1

i have heat treated a knife more than five times before getting it right, dont give up, you will still have to heat treat the next one you make anyways.

Edited by steven smith

Some weird stuff going on in this blade, I don’t know if I will be able to explain it. Before the last re heat treat, I didn’t not sand off the etched Hamon. Now it’s still showing up on the blade, what’s going on here??  I ground off one side of the Hamon, and re etched it, now the current Hamon shows up, but the old one also shows up on the areas of the blade where I didn’t grind very deep.  In the pictures you can see the areas where the previous etched Hamon is showing up. On the areas that where ground down the most, the new Hamon is showing up and ye old one is gone.  I don’t know what the heck is going on so could someone enlighten me into why this piece of steel is so stubborn?! :lol: I don’t think it will be a problem, I’ve just got to grind a little bit deeper into the blade.

D84DFF87-34EB-46F5-BFBE-F8F4721E13EA.jpeg

B0D833AB-3066-496A-A2D5-2A0ADF3DFE6A.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

On 2/14/2020 at 5:06 PM, Joël Mercier said:

The etch doesn't lie ;)

What he said :)

Going by those photos I suspect your tip should be okay, but that last part of the edge might not be hardened.

Maybe normalize a few times and try again?

Just a WAG, but maybe get a longer container for your oil, maybe the handle banging against the edge of the container prevents the rear part of the blade going deep enough in the oil?

That's interesting.  I'm eager to hear an explanation myself.

Can you post a picture of the other side that only shows the last hamon?

No more progress made on this one yet, I’ll get around to heat treating it..again... it next week. It’s my birthday tomorrow and tonight I’m preparing steaks for the grill, I’ve got some Dry aged ribeyes and my first ever Wagyu NY strip steak. 

Thats not exactly knife related but I’m sure the steak lovers on here will appreciate it :lol: 

B7D83337-964A-472D-A1F4-1FEF0A670D2F.jpeg

The only time I ate Wagyu was in tartare(small raw cubes if you wonder). It was excellent!