Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

Hammers for sale?

If I was to forge some Japanese style bladesmiths hammers in the 2 to 3 lb range would anyone be interested in purchasing them? And would I be allowed to post them for sale in the tailgate sales section?

I can forge them with an angled handle and with the handle at 90° from the head. 

Of course you can post them in the tailgate section.  You can post just about anything there.

• Thanks 1

Awesome thank you Alan!!!

I'd probably be up for one.

Sure Jeremy. I might as well be up for one. Square head if possible. 2-3 lbs also.

Have a 4.5 dogshead and a 2 pound but neither are square faced. 

Gary LT

4 hours ago, Gary LT said:

Square head if possible.

Square head with an angled handle or the handle at 90°?

5 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I'd probably be up for one.

What weight would you be interested in Brian?

I have 10 billets cut up ranging from 1 1/2 lbs to 3 lbs. I'm going to cut 2 more at 3 1/2 lbs. 

Resized_IMG_20200121_160309_289.jpeg

Probably around 2.5 lbs.  Give or take.

If you go with a short, angled handle, you can go much heavier than you do with a long straight handle.  Takes a bit to learn the movement, but they really move some steel!

I have a 3.5lb of that type, and it's as easy on the arm as a 2lb ordinary hammer.  Just a different movement.

4 more billets cut up 2 of them will be around 4 lbs end weight. And the 2 on the far left near the horn will become some tooling. A couple hammers on top to show some of the hammers that can be made. It doesn't have to be a Japanese style bladesmiths hammer. Viking, rounding, sledge, engineers....there all fair game.;)

Resized_20200121_174313.jpeg

Hi Jeremy, my 4.5lb is angled. I would want the same on a 2.5 to 3 pounder. Actually I can install my own handle, that can help you. Tai Goo had a hammer with a curved angular handle and I copied this on another one I use.

Puts the impact /hand control closer to the action. I use a 3lb for most everything. I have been looking for a square face and I think 2.5 - 3lbs would give me the force I think I want.

Gary LT

Edited by Gary LT

I have one of Jeremy’s 3Ib dog head hammers, it’s very quickly become my favorite hammer. It feels great to swing and it definitely moves very quickly. 

Very good quality I would say :D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gary LT said:

Tai Goo had a hammer with a curved angular handle and I copied this on another one I use.

I would forge the eye at a cant and the handke would have an angle from the head with a straight handle. Or I can forge the eye straight through like a normal hammer and then you could use the curved angled handle like TaiGoo. Its entirely up to your personal preference.

Jeremy

I'm interested in a 3lb dogshead, an axe/hatchet drift and hardy cut off tool.

I missed this some how. What are you charging for a head? I might also be interested in a 3lb. 

I sent PM's to you guys.