Zeb Camper

Firewood finds stabilizers stand by

I find all sorts of cool wood that I know would look killer under clear and toss most of it in the fire. This piece is too pretty for me to toss. If anyone might want it, shoot me a PM, I'll get it out to you. I might start saving this stuff more often if there is any interest. 

20200121_121334.jpg

20200121_125414.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper

What species of wood?

That's a good question. If I had to guess I would say red cedar. But, it's core was hollow, and its heavy spalt lines disguise it pretty well. It seems sound enough I wouldnt hesitate to shave the remnants of the core off and stabilize it. 

Its soaking wet though. Would take some time to dry. Probably around 2' long I threw the other half in the fire. 

You would not believe the amount of nice curly maple I've seen get burnt up for winter heat. It literally kills a piece of my soul to watch it burn. I have a lot in my firewood pile as well, but sadly, I cannot save every piece :(.

Not prudent to your topic, so... apologies! 

If it wasn’t for the long swim I’d come and rescue some of those pieces.

16 hours ago, Will Wilcox said:

You would not believe the amount of nice curly maple I've seen get burnt up for winter heat. It literally kills a piece of my soul to watch it burn. I have a lot in my firewood pile as well, but sadly, I cannot save every piece :(.

Not prudent to your topic, so... apologies! 

No, you're good! In fact, if you'd be willing to ship I might be a buyer myself! Feel free to post whatever you like. 

I've got some walnut, and cherry drying out right now. 

I'll keep it in mind, thanks Zeb. 

I have once again applied the "zeb tax" to the firewood. This is spalted pine I believe. Some of its pretty heavily spalted. Still pretty sound, but would still stabilize. 

20200212_135202.jpg

20200212_135207.jpg

20200212_135211.jpg

• Like 2

Nice!

A vacuum chamber is pretty easy to build........

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex Middleton said:

Nice!

A vacuum chamber is pretty easy to build........

I just watched a video... Could I not use like a shop vac, and a piece of plexiglas in top of a pot with some kind of seal? Or is that way too low tech? I have too many hobbies to get seriously invested in this. 

Don, that link seems to be broken.

Zeb, Curtis at Turntex, the guy that sells Cactus Juice, recommends keeping a constant draw on the vacuum. That would be tough to do with a shop vac.  I use a vacuum pump that I pulled out of an old dehumidifier and run it for as long as I can until it overheats. It's not perfect, but it works.  All in I had about $30 into my initial stabilizing setup.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeb Camper said:

I just watched a video... Could I not use like a shop vac, and a piece of plexiglas in top of a pot with some kind of seal? Or is that way too low tech? I have too many hobbies to get seriously invested in this. 

Zeb, you need to pull at least 29" of mercury...........preferably 29.5" to properly use Cactus Juice.  Curtis was giving me a rough time about the tiny little leaks I had in my system because I was only getting 28.5".  He said I'd never get all the air out..................and he was right.  I had that pump running for 7 days and never did get the air out of the wood.  Had to redo the entire system and fix all the leaks before getting a true 29.5".  You won't get anywhere near that with a shop vacuum.

• Thanks 1

Thanks ya'll!

I guess I gotta get it dry first. Might cut it up into manageable pieces. 

Spalted red oak 

Resized_20200314_154628.jpeg

Resized_20200314_155001.jpeg

Resized_20200314_155011.jpeg

Resized_20200314_155014.jpeg

Resized_20200314_155014.jpeg

Resized_20200314_154620.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice! My spalted plum turned out to be just kind of rotten plum. :(  A little spalting in a small area, otherwise blah. 

Is that saw a Jonsered?  We don't get those often down south.

Alan, I bought my Jonsered at Tractor Supply in Jamestown, Tn. a couple of years ago.

2 hours ago, Wayne Coe said:

Alan, I bought my Jonsered at Tractor Supply in Jamestown, Tn. a couple of years ago.

Yeah, but that doesn't make them common.  :D

15 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Spalted red oak 

Doesn't look like oak to me. Looks kind of like cherry.... The grains look closed, and the bark looks different... 

Pretty cool!

I will get a picture of where it broke off the tree and a better picture of the bark. I wish we could see the leaves but I'm going to cut it down to start drying for charcoal before they sprout. It might be white oak. I split some known red oak and the this and it is different for sure. 

17 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Is that saw a Jonsered?  We don't get those often down south

Nope.....I wish though it's a Husqvarna. We have quite a few Johnsred dealers around us. The owner of the chainsaw shop everyone here used to go to just passed away last summer. Really a Bummer because Gene was a great guy. His family owned a sawmill in town that went back to the mid 1800's and when the mill shut down he kept the property and opened a chainsaw shop. I hunt a lot of his property. Not sure what's going to happen to that. Hopefully I can talk to his sister and she will still let me hunt the properties!?!?

I do enjoy the different materials and beautiful woods I get to use in this knifemaking endevor.  Some stage as the some of the handle blocks I got from this big burl had  bark inclusions and voids so after they have dried, I will stabilise them and look at making a silicone mould so I can do some resin casting as I have seen some very nice results from this method of saving nice pieces for handles and adding colour at the same time.

I got just on 50 blocks from it (5 x 1 1/4 x 1 5/8)

IMG_20200110_143401.jpg

IMG_20200131_150730.jpg

IMG_20200316_043331.jpg

• Like 1

I know the Good Lord teaches against envy, Garry, but I can't help myself.  That's one beautiful burl.  I've a friend who makes his living cutting down trees............biggun's with the really big burls.  I've seen a bunch he has.  Unfortunately for me, his hobby is wood turning, so I'll never see one of those burls in my shop unless the burl fairy makes a stop some night while I'm sleeping.  :lol:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

I know the Good Lord teaches against envy, Garry, but I can't help myself.  That's one beautiful burl.  I've a friend who makes his living cutting down trees............biggun's with the really big burls.  I've seen a bunch he has.  Unfortunately for me, his hobby is wood turning, so I'll never see one of those burls in my shop unless the burl fairy makes a stop some night while I'm sleeping.  :lol:

This was a gift from the lady who is spending a monday morning each week in my shed learning various things as I go about my day. She does artisan jewelery so many of the lovely wood, horn etc  off cuts from the handle blocks are just the right size for her and her friends (she trades some) and I get to know that they are going to be used instead of me having to throw them out. I get the shed floor swept and various other helps so it is a win win for both of us. She has a shop and carries some of my knives so that works for us both as well.

Edited by Garry Keown

Win-win-win!  That's cool, Garry.

• Like 1