Hey all, LONG time, no speak. I've been away for some 18months but I'm back. Kicking things off with a request from a friend. Her brief "A wooden handled paring knife type of thing that I can use at home or camping. I have a romantic notion of cutting the cheeks off of apples and eating it right from the blade" This is what we've come up with. I would suggest it's somewhere in the grounds of a bird & trout come paring knife. Looking to forge it to shape. Hidden tang. Roughly 20mm at heel, 90ish long with about the same for the handle. Handle will be w.a. Jarrah as she used to work in the Jarrah forests of south western Australia. Thoughts?

IMG_20200122_111528_329.jpg

• Like 1

Nice looking design.  Nice size for an apple knife......or salami knife.....or cheese knife....or EDC knife.

Edited by Chris Christenberry

That will be a handy little blade.  I love Jarrah too.  The pieces I've acquired all look pretty plain until you see them close up.  Theres tons of swirls and eddies in the grain that you dont see in other types of wood.

11 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Nice looking design.  Nice size for an apple knife......or salami knife.....or cheese knife....or EDC knife.

Thanks Chris. 

5 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

That will be a handy little blade.  I love Jarrah too.  The pieces I've acquired all look pretty plain until you see them close up.  Theres tons of swirls and eddies in the grain that you dont see in other types of wood.

Thanks Alex, I only use Australian hard woods, and if possible only Western Australian, as that's where I live. Desert Snakewood and W.A. Jam. Blue gum. Red Gum. Black Butt. Have some really nice figured black butt in some cactus juice right now. 

It would also make a nice steak/table knife

48 minutes ago, Garry Keown said:

It would also make a nice steak/table knife

Thanks Garry,

Ive just cut out a 4mm MDF template and it feels good in the hand. Though I am probably going to shallow the radius on the spine by just a little bit. When held in the reverse grip, aka, slicing the cheeks off of an apple it curls in towards my big hand just a little too much. 

1 hour ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Looks good Chris. I like the design a lot.

Thanks Rob. Im planning on lighting the forge for the first time in forever on Sat morning. Got a few metal options but I think due to the size of the handle I am going to use an small Nicholson file I have already annealed, and use the tang of the file flattened a little as a starting point. Failing that I have some 1075 in 3, 4 and 6mm thickness on hand plus a metric assload of leaf springs.