Hammond afd-132 belt grinder

Sooooo....I got another steal of a deal. I won this at auction for $80!!! It has a 3 hp 1100 rpm motor. I believe it has an air tensioning system. It is missing the contact wheel which will probably end up costing more than I'm paying for the machine. I believe it is a 4x132. I know for sure the belt length is 132 inches. Im going to contact the company tomorrow about contact wheels. The company is conveniently located in Kalamazoo which is cool. Now I have 2 grinders made in Kalamazoo.

3bba2203ea36e9619803104688406796.jpeg

Now that’s one heck of a grinder! If you end up fixing it up, you should get a ceramic shredder belt and see how fast it eats up a piece of steel :lol:

Yep, that ought to eat some steel...:ph34r:

Some of the big ones, like the improbably-named Bader Space Saver, can use hard felt wheels as contact wheels.  These can be a bit less expensive than the usual rubber on steel.  The Space Saver is nominally a 3 x 132" machine, but will run any width.  I bet your new monster will as well.

• Thanks 1

Nice score! Whatever you do for a contact wheel will cost more than the machine, but be well worth it. If you need something custom made, or if the parts from the manufacturer are too pricey, call Sunray. I had them do the contact wheel for my surface grinder conversion and they price was less than half of what Contact Rubber Corp. wanted to charge me. The 1100RPM motor seems a bit slow unless it's got a monster drive pulley.

Oh, and Alan, if you look at the fact that the Space Saver was intended to replace huge backstand grinders, it IS a lot smaller. :)

• Thanks 1

What I want to know is what do people use these things for?!?! 2x72 seems to be a decent metal hogger itself. But this must take it to a whole new level.

The last place I worked before I messed back up again has 5 bader space savers. There awesome machines!!! They have 3 in the back room not being used that in thought about inquiring about but I'm quickly running out of room in my shop.  Conner the bader space savers I have ran were used for little itty bitty parts. Kinda seems counter intuitive but the belts last a long time and they are able to run 9000 SFPM. If you watch any man at arms they use bader space savers for grinding there swords. My plan with this machine is obviously knives and swords but I'm really excited to take a hammer face to it. There was also a CFD-132 on the same auction which had a 7.5 hp 1750 motor on it but that went for quite a bit more than this one.  I believe this has a geared drive head that increases the belt speed from the 1100 rpm motor.

51 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

If you watch any man at arms they use bader space savers for grinding there swords

This.  They actually have maybe seven of them now?  Matt Stagmer can grind a sword blade in about 15 minutes start to finish on a pair of them.  They're big, but they are very stable, very powerful, and can run very fast.  They're industrial machines, like the really big power hammers.  The Nazel 3B hammer we all want, at 300lb ram weight, is a baby used to make the tooling for the big hammers. Same with a 2x72 grinder versus the 3x132 grinders.   If you've got the need for commercial-scale production, you've got the need for a bigger grinder.  

In other words, I want one, but I don't need one. B)  

• 4 weeks later...

I still havent made it to Grand Rapids to pick this up but I have been looking at pictures of this today and I realized that the wheel that's on it is a contact wheel. I originally thought it was 2 plates that securely fastened the wheel but that's not what it is. It appears to be a 1/2 inch wheel with a small rubber strip around it. 

You could probably reprofile that rubber and use it for exactly that.  (Reminds me of profiling the tires in my slot car racing days...)

• Like 1

Is it missing an important part? I'm bidding on another one that is missing the tensioner and the idler wheel that I can use for parts or even get replacement parts and get it running.

1 hour ago, Sam Salvati said:

The other half of the wheel hub

Here is a picture of the other side. I thought it looked complete but I honestly have no clue.

Screenshot_20200226-135509_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200226-135500_Chrome.jpg

Doh....:unsure: I see what you mean. I'm working on getting a parts unit that has the rest of what I need.

Screenshot_20200226-140417_Chrome.jpg