• Leather tooling

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A seasonal hatchet!

If you want, we can do a collab season. You make one blade that I finish and I make one you finish. 

How about sometime this "Summer"?  That way we have a bit of room to "Fall" back on for the inevitable deadline extension 

Posted Images

With the creative and artistic talent that some of the members (unfortunately not me) of this board posses, I think this one has the potential to be exceptionally interesting.  Do we have a "deadline" yet?

55 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

Do we have a "deadline" yet?

How about sometime this "Summer"?  That way we have a bit of room to "Fall" back on for the inevitable deadline extension :D

• Haha 1

We are already into February so why don’t we start this week? We can let it go till September or early November.  Just a thought :)

7 minutes ago, Robert D. said:

Drew mine up today. 

Im going spring with a tanto with a cherry blossom motif.... 

Now I just gotta figure out how i am going to pull it off, as its VERY ambitious given my tooling.

Nice! I'm going for maple sap sprout guard knife with curly maple handle. Here, spring means maple syrup :lol:.

Very cool! Im going for a "spring camping out in the mountains" theme. Breaking down Fatwood to light a fire and carving a spoon while the birds are chirping and the river rushing by... 

So naturally a small carving axe wood fit that well. Im guessing its fine if I make a hatchet right? As long as its a blade and fits the seasons theme I would assume its fine.

Edited by Conner Michaux
2 hours ago, Jonathanbradshaw said:

Got it. So anything from a bbq fork for summer to a splitting maul For winter. This is going to take some thinking. 

I would think it needs to at least be an edged sort of thing. Keep in mind you gotta ship it too! 

You can use a "motif" like the others said with blossoms, or colors, or textures. A fall blade might have a rich golden brown handle with copper fittings, or leaf inlays, or something that reminds you of the season. A flannel micarta handle even. 

A nice subtle Hamon representing a stream flowing off that mountain in springtime. Just another idea :lol:

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • 2 weeks later...

So I’ve been thinking about the seasons theme a bit. 

As we approach spring I always look forward to trout fishing. So I’m leaning towards a bird and trout knife. Now my favorite trout stream has a heavy population of willows. I would like to use willow in the handle. But the wood is on the soft side and kind of boring. The trees often are covered in what look like burls, but I’ve never seen willow burl for sale so maybe the burl is not useful either. 

The other idea I’m considering is an axe/hatchet. I will be tapping my maple trees in the next week or two to make some syrup. Which means I will be spending a lot of time splitting wood and feeding the fire soon. I usually use a splitting maul or wedges and a sledge, but I’m not interested in forging a maul (and definitely not without a striker since I don’t have a power hammer). So instead of a maul maybe a small axe with a maple

handle to represent syrup season.  

• 5 months later...

I took a few months pause from knifemaking and I'll probably resume my KITH this fall. If the deadline is still November, I can surely complete my work on time. 

Though I have to confess that I am a bit disappointed by the number of participants (absolutely not the quality, of course). I had hoped more would've joined through the passing months. :mellow:

I was wondering what the deadline was this year, but was too lazy to look it up.  I'm running pretty far behind my usual pace, but if November is the deadline, then I'll be able to finish up with the fit and finish I'm hoping for.

I too am a little surprised at the lack of activity.  Everyone has been impacted by the pandemic pretty hard.  There may just not be enough extra energy to do a project like this.