1. 1. Options

• Seasons
    • Collaboration knife build
    • Small axe/hatchet/tomahawk
    • Leather tooling

Just now, Joël Mercier said:

Count my collab vote as seasons

Problem solved! :lol:

With the creative and artistic talent that some of the members (unfortunately not me) of this board posses, I think this one has the potential to be exceptionally interesting.  Do we have a "deadline" yet?

55 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

Do we have a "deadline" yet?

How about sometime this "Summer"?  That way we have a bit of room to "Fall" back on for the inevitable deadline extension :D

• Haha 1

We are already into February so why don’t we start this week? We can let it go till September or early November.  Just a thought :)

September or November works for me.  Absolutely can't be October though. :P

I've got an idea for my KITH already :)

Drew mine up today. 

Im going spring with a tanto with a cherry blossom motif.... 

Now I just gotta figure out how i am going to pull it off, as its VERY ambitious given my tooling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robert D. said:

Drew mine up today. 

Im going spring with a tanto with a cherry blossom motif.... 

Now I just gotta figure out how i am going to pull it off, as its VERY ambitious given my tooling.

Nice! I'm going for maple sap sprout guard knife with curly maple handle. Here, spring means maple syrup :lol:.

Very cool! Im going for a "spring camping out in the mountains" theme. Breaking down Fatwood to light a fire and carving a spoon while the birds are chirping and the river rushing by... 

So naturally a small carving axe wood fit that well. Im guessing its fine if I make a hatchet right? As long as its a blade and fits the seasons theme I would assume its fine.

Edited by Conner Michaux

2 minutes ago, Jonathanbradshaw said:

Im not sure I understand what the seasons option means. I must have missed something. 

Screenshot_20200204-193614~2.png

2 hours ago, Jonathanbradshaw said:

Got it. So anything from a bbq fork for summer to a splitting maul For winter. This is going to take some thinking. 

I would think it needs to at least be an edged sort of thing. Keep in mind you gotta ship it too! 

You can use a "motif" like the others said with blossoms, or colors, or textures. A fall blade might have a rich golden brown handle with copper fittings, or leaf inlays, or something that reminds you of the season. A flannel micarta handle even. 

A nice subtle Hamon representing a stream flowing off that mountain in springtime. Just another idea :lol:

Edited by Conner Michaux

or a fluffly cloud...

Sorry my 1 year old son only watches Cars 3 and Ive seen it two billion times in the last 3 weeks.

"Mist is in the trees, stones sweat with the dew, the morning sunrise; red before the blue"~ Empire of the clouds from Iron Maiden about 20 mins long.

I'll be jamming come design time! 

I've sat out for the past few KITHs, but this one seems cool enough I might just have to make some room in my schedule for it!

seasons sounds cool i would participate on that one B) < lack of emoji

So I’ve been thinking about the seasons theme a bit. 

As we approach spring I always look forward to trout fishing. So I’m leaning towards a bird and trout knife. Now my favorite trout stream has a heavy population of willows. I would like to use willow in the handle. But the wood is on the soft side and kind of boring. The trees often are covered in what look like burls, but I’ve never seen willow burl for sale so maybe the burl is not useful either. 

The other idea I’m considering is an axe/hatchet. I will be tapping my maple trees in the next week or two to make some syrup. Which means I will be spending a lot of time splitting wood and feeding the fire soon. I usually use a splitting maul or wedges and a sledge, but I’m not interested in forging a maul (and definitely not without a striker since I don’t have a power hammer). So instead of a maul maybe a small axe with a maple

handle to represent syrup season.  

23 minutes ago, Jonathanbradshaw said:

small axe with a maple

I'm fine with that, I'm going the maple syrup theme as well B)