Knife preforms video explanation

So I was contacted by a fellow smith who is interested in forging their first knife.. 

I learned many years ago from some really old books that a preform is forged and this is used to forge the finished blade with no corrections either in geometry or width..  The blade is mearly forged to correct finished shape and thickness. 

Here are the videos..  There are 2:  1 long version with metal prep (smith has 5160 in 1/4X 1 3/4") preform and blade. 

And short version which is just preform, and blade.. 

Short version: 

Edited by JenniferP
  • Like 1

Long version: Metal prep to size, preform and blade.. 

Step photots. 

20200125_151046.jpg

20200124_172144.jpg

20200124_172849.jpg

20200124_173941.jpg

20200125_150003.jpg

• Like 3

they sure are...   With preforms it can make nearly any shape possible in a very fast way..   I took my time on this blade as I wanted to get as much of the information in it as I could for a given heat.. But this process can be very fast..  Total time from start to finish was only 40 minutes..   Not filming makes it much shorter. 

Part 2 of the video will be filing, heat treatment, and finishing the blade. 

Well, I'm glad I was able to help out with this info then.. 

Steven, do you have anything to add, that i missed??

• Like 1

Another excellent video!  You are one of the few people, myself included, who I've seen use the cross pein to pull down the bevel at the ricasso.  I've seen alot of using the edge of the face to do it, but the pein is just so much easier.  And often more accurate.  

• Like 1

I watched this earlier. Really nice clean forging! I'd like to see someone do something similar for more blade types. The broken back seax for instance really gives people a hard time. That and keeping the tang centered on ricosso-less blades. 

Really enjoyed watching you work! 

• Like 1

Like I said on the chisel post @JenniferPgreat work and thanks for sharing. For us newer at smithing I found it super informative. 

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Another excellent video!  You are one of the few people, myself included, who I've seen use the cross pein to pull down the bevel at the ricasso.  I've seen alot of using the edge of the face to do it, but the pein is just so much easier.  And often more accurate.  

I find it varies for me on what I am trying to do..   If I have done the preform exactly 100% correct the metal is accounted for to get that crisp corner of the blade at the ricasso and choil. 

But I have also found it depends on the anvil I'm working on..  I have not figured out how to fully incorporate the side shelf..   Sadly in this video I have been having to preheat the anvil as it's so cold and I won't work on a cold anvil in fear of damaging it.. 

Not sure if you have seen the video on Tapers..  the 4lbs taper video shows a pulling motion and this can pull out this area really cleanly..   

But, yes I am with you and usually teach using the peen for getting in there and doing a nice clean job. 

7 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I watched this earlier. Really nice clean forging! I'd like to see someone do something similar for more blade types. The broken back seax for instance really gives people a hard time. That and keeping the tang centered on ricosso-less blades. 

Really enjoyed watching you work! 

Thanks,     I don't do many videos on knife making..   I was asked the direct question by another smith so this video ended up on the list.   With this preform aspect and pre curves you could be all set with just a little bit of figuring out. 

Ooohh,, you are opening a whole discussion on keeping things centered on a blade profile..  that is a great subject..  

1 hour ago, Chris C-S said:

Like I said on the chisel post @JenniferPgreat work and thanks for sharing. For us newer at smithing I found it super informative. 

Cheers,

Chris.

Excellent, practice at applying this "preform " idea to your work.. You will find your forgings will go better with less finish work.. 

I forge my blade edges to nearly 1/16"  but if you account for a little extra material you could stop shy of this, heat treat,  temper and grind..  It would put you way ahead.. 

All of the videos I make are to teach a skill set..      they are all designed to be watched a couple of times. then go and forge something applying the information, then watch the video again.  then forge again..   3 or 4 of these watch and forge cycles and the person will have a very good grasp on the skill set..  

All of the videos are designed to teach a skill.    they are not really about the item made.. 

• Like 4

Alan, where ever you think it will do best for views..   I just want the info to get out there for people, so what ever is best..  

Excellent Video Jennifer!   Great clean forging and informative video.  And you truly have a gift for seamless editing.   Great Work.

• Like 1

Thanks Bruno,  it was fun..  Ah, editing..  Yeah..  LOL..