The making of a viking hammer.

I've been really getting into hammer making with my new power hammer and even before I got my hammer I was forging them by hand and using my homemade power hammer. This I believe is going to be my signature hammer along with my Japanese style bladesmiths hammers. 

Starting stock was a 4 lb chunk of forklift tine.

Resized_20200126_190738.jpegResized_20200126_145703.jpeg

punched a round hole under the power hammer.Resized_20200126_154051.jpeg

Bolster i made for driving out the "slug"

Resized_20200126_190643.jpeg

here is the eye after punching.Resized_20200126_154212.jpeg

used a small fullering tool to start the fullers in front and behind the eye.

Resized_20200126_193604(1).jpegResized_20200126_155349.jpeg

then started to draw out the peen using the fullering tool.Resized_20200126_161628.jpeg

The peen ended up with too much material so I used a hot cut tool under the power hammer.

Resized_20200126_190654.jpeg

This is what was cut off. Kinda a crappy picture but I never claimed to be a photographer. :lol:Resized_20200126_190600.jpeg

Now I proceeded to fuller out the peen and in front of the eye with a larger fuller. And start to drift the eye. Here is a picture of the fuller and the drift I use. The drift is made if stainless steel. Surprisingly holds up pretty good. I have one made from H13 I need to finish grind and will replace this one.

Resized_20200126_190629.jpeg

Resized_20200126_190710.jpeg

Resized_20200126_163159.jpeg

I have a special bolster I made for drifting the eye from the underside.

Resized_20200126_163751.jpegResized_20200126_190612.jpegResized_20200126_190720.jpeg

And here is the final forged hammer. Total weight after scale loss and cutting a bit off is 49.7 ounces or 3.1 lbs.

Resized_20200126_165248.jpegResized_20200126_180906.jpegResized_20200126_180911.jpegResized_20200126_181013.jpegResized_20200126_181018.jpeg

I hope everyone enjoys this thread as much as I enjoyed making the hammer. 

Thank you

Jeremy Blohm 

Resized_20200126_190710.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • Like 2
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, we've got woodcarvings, illustrations from manuscripts, and stone carvings that show this is how they were mounted, so there you go...  The modern "Swedish" pattern is pretty much this same thin

I think some of the 'anvils' are in fact drifts as you suggest.    If you want to have a look at other finds, here is a search in the Norwegian finds database.   Hammers: http

I've been really getting into hammer making with my new power hammer and even before I got my hammer I was forging them by hand and using my homemade power hammer. This I believe is going to be my sig

Posted Images

Looks like a lot of tools involved in the process. How, ever do you keep track of them in your shop? How do you recommend keeping things organized so you aren't looking for tongs, drifts, or bolsters!? :lol: But for real bro, your shit is awesome.

• Thanks 1

There is this one also. Another thing though is I'm trying to find something to set me apart from the crowd. I like my hammer but I agree there is too much face.

Ideal-Hot-3-Pounder.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I like the second one more, and would suggest faceting the corners a little to assist the face profile some.

Just my $.02 fer whut its worth, I wouldn't mind having one like that to try out...................B)

1 hour ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Mastermyr Chest hammers

These, and a burial context or three, are the only surviving ones I know of.  Jim Austin makes good reproductions based on these finds.

https://forgedaxes.com/classes/all-classes/viking-style-blacksmithing-hammer/

http://warehamforgeblog.blogspot.com/2014/02/viking-age-forging-hammers.html

I asked because none of them have that short heavy fuller behind the face.  There is a sway there for sure, though.

Good forging, and good toolmaking regardless!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doh.....never thought to look at the mastermyr find. I cant believe it slipped my mind. I searched viking hammer and it brought up thor hammer pendants. Viking crosspeen brought up some more results. My next attempt will be along the lines of the mastermyr hammers. I might try to do a little more forging on this one and see how it turns out. I kinda worked it in my head what to do but that doesn't always work out.:lol:

I made a much larger fuller. Hopefully it wont have such a dramatic effect on the face. I wont be able to fire the forge up till tomorrow sometime because Samantha is sick and she doesn't want to hear the house rattling and vibrating and thumping from the power hammer. I have to respect the wifey.;)

The more I look at this hammer the more it looks like a french hammer and a viking hammer got together and had a baby!?!?!? :lol:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Jim Austin makes good reproductions based on these finds.

https://forgedaxes.com/classes/all-classes/viking-style-blacksmithing-hammer/

This is awesome. I might have to start a savings jar and rent some time from Jim Austin. $110 /hr sounds really reasonable considering what I would learn from him!!!

Jeremy, it does look like you’ve found a niche for you. I like the designs as they are different from the masses. I mean look at the Hofi hammer.....his design.....Maybe?

Anyway, interested in how do you heat treat the face for proper hardness? What range works best?

Kind regards, 

Gary LT

Thank you Gary! I harden the whole hammer head on my cross/straight peen and I only harden the face of my Japanese style hammers. I temper them at 500°f which results in a deep gold to purple on a polished face. I find tempering a little hotter saves the anvil face from stray strikes and holds up well with using tooling and punches and resists cracking.

So I was looking into the mastermyr find and I noticed something interesting. A couple of the tools they described as "small anvils" look just like to hammer eye drifts I use. The one to the left of what he is pointing at is the one I'm referring to. Also I have a bigger drift that I made that looks a lot like the one he is pointing at.

Resized_20200126_190629.jpeg

Screenshot_20200127-203229_YouTube.jpg

And in these pictures the "small anvils" have the same shape and dimensions of the Adze and hammers in the pictures. Could these be drifts and not anvils?Screenshot_20200127-203927_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20200127-203900_YouTube.jpg