The making of a viking hammer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, we've got woodcarvings, illustrations from manuscripts, and stone carvings that show this is how they were mounted, so there you go...  The modern "Swedish" pattern is pretty much this same thin

I think some of the 'anvils' are in fact drifts as you suggest.    If you want to have a look at other finds, here is a search in the Norwegian finds database.   Hammers: http

I've been really getting into hammer making with my new power hammer and even before I got my hammer I was forging them by hand and using my homemade power hammer. This I believe is going to be my sig

Posted Images

Here is what the next hammer will be made of. Old wagon tire. There is probably 4 lbs of material to weld up. 

Resized_20200203_111617.jpegResized_20200203_112101.jpegResized_20200203_112205.jpeg

On 2/2/2020 at 9:49 AM, Charles dP said:

Is it just me that always thinks it looks like the head on a Viking hammer was put on upside down?

It really depends on where the langets are located in relation to the center line of the handle. I think JA mentioned this in one of his axe videos.

On the axe, where there are two sets of langets (upper and lower), the upper ones are slightly forward of the center line, the lower ones, slightly behind.

When you consider the rotational forces acting on the axe or hammer head during use, the nose, or blade,  wants to rotate upward upon impact. The langets spread that resistance over a larger area than just the lip of the eye.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Old wagon tire.

If that's the 6-inch wide freight wagon kind, and you get any more, don't cut it into short pieces!  Muzzleloading rifle builders will pay top dollar for them to use as barrel stock.  If it's clean enough, that is.  And there's not that many who make their own barrels.  But still...  the 2.5" and narrower tires are common enough to throw at your enemies, but the wider, thicker ones are fairly scarce since there were not that many to start with and they are an attractive target for scrappers.  Ordinary wrought has been around $3/lb for the last twenty years on the open market.  Those are worth more to the right person.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 4:35 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Shit can get hectic in my shop cant it chris?!?!?:lol:

So sense the wife is off work and I cant forge I took the opportunity to clean up the shop and get some of my tooling organized! I bet you I still lose my power hammer tooling between heats!:lol:

Resized_20200128_140818.jpeg

Response is a bit belated but uh....hectic? What ever do you mean? Nothing EVER gets burned (take that as you will :D). Nothing fueled by excessive caffeine. :lol: Nothing like that ever happens......never...