Rob Toneguzzo

Puukko inspired EDC

Well I have returned from a lovely holiday far away from a land of endless sunshine to my land full of rainy skies and gales” ( well at least this time of year with the wet season)

On my return I had planned to finish a Seax sheath but I became distracted with the want for a handy edc I decided on a Puukko inspired blade just a bit thinner at the point and with a slight upward curve at the tip. 

I forged this blade from a USA made farriers rasp and finished it with files and sandpaper as there has been some discussion on the forum of late on this topic.

I then water quenched it and tempered it in the oven.

The bolster and end cap were made from copper and I decided on a stacked leather handle as it is my absolute favourite handle for a working hidden tang style knife. 

more pics to follow soon

DC1CBF25-4C57-42E2-AFA3-9CCDAF2DBC1F.jpeg

9FE59353-4590-4770-9C37-7957BA789A83.jpeg

3A7B6A27-CA63-4A92-BD5C-7867A829B241.jpeg

D32C5663-D86C-4774-BE12-1268F4720431.jpeg

1F5722F4-AEFB-4CFD-944A-47ED63FCFAD4.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice, Rob.  I like it.  Never been much of a fan of Puukkos, but after seeing some of the ones done by makers on this site, I'm feeling a tug in that direction.  Such a simple, clean design.

• Thanks 1

.gif

• Haha 2

That is gonna be sweet Rob. You are a machine lately.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris and Josh and Clifford that popcorn thing gets me all fired up.

Thought I would make a traditional style sheath for this one.

1B691F97-5499-40D5-A916-7E822FF44401.jpeg

91003030-58FB-4909-AE9A-032D5C8A4C3D.jpeg

011675B0-67DD-4299-AA80-84AF14BE37B2.jpeg

Love puukko knives, I would love to make one but I can’t figure out how to grind the bevel so it gets narrower at the tip. :blink:

fantastic work. 

2 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Love puukko knives, I would love to make one but I can’t figure out how to grind the bevel so it gets narrower at the tip. :blink:

fantastic work. 

Hi Conner,

For this type of blade I forge to finished shape as close as I can then I clamp the blade By the tang on a flat surface held in the vice ( usually a 30cm bit of 1” box) and draw file the flat of the blade on both sides and once that is right I start draw filing the bevels.

I start with a steeper angle to begin with till the edge meets in the middle and then (periodically alternating sides) work the bevel back until It is where I want.

If I get a bit wayward and bring one bevel up a bit higher I will work the flat on that side to bring things back even.

Once happy I will do exactly the same and work my way through sandpaper grits.

Hope that makes sense. It is a good project to try.

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

Hey Rob. Love a good Pukko style knife. Leather handles rock also. Not that you need it but I totally approve of this build. 

Do you always do bevels and shaping by hand? Do you not have a grinder? And if not what files do you use? Bunnings ones?

Cheers in advance. 

Chris. 

Hi Chris,  Thanks mate, I have a crappy Ryobi sander ( I will post a pic tomorrow) The capacitor is gone and I have to kind of kick start it to get it going. When I want to make my best work I will do the bevels by hand. Takes more time but ...hey.. it is worth spending time on something that I hope will last a long time.  I have been using Banco files from Bunnings. I am very limited in choice and they seem to be ok. I do use a file card often to keep gauling to a minimum.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Hi Chris,  Thanks mate, I have a crappy Ryobi sander ( I will post a pic tomorrow) The capacitor is gone and I have to kind of kick start it to get it going. When I want to make my best work I will do the bevels by hand. Takes more time but ...hey.. it is worth spending time on something that I hope will last a long time.  I have been using Banco files from Bunnings. I am very limited in choice and they seem to be ok. I do use a file card often to keep gauling to a minimum.

Well now I'm even more impressed. Your work is beautiful and now I know it's for the better part all done by hand and in the climate you live in I really have no excuses. 

I'm off to Bunnings to buy a couple of files tomorrow, I need a half round file, can't seem to find mine. Never thought of buying a file card though. 

Thanks for your prompt reply buddy and keep up the great work. 

• Thanks 1

No worries. I often remind myself that once upon a time there were no Ryobi sanders. I do however want to get a decent belt grinder one day.

So I have sewn up the sheath and decided on a barramundi decoration as this knife (I hope) will see some active service on the odd fish.

Oh I decided to write some details on the wood sheath insert In the event if it gets dug up in 500 years or so in a Northern Territory swamp.

812A7EEF-0B26-4F36-A84E-1D2FF10A797B.jpeg

8C9CB4D0-8D38-42ED-AED7-47E32C6531EA.jpeg

70B3EA35-33B8-428B-B6EF-DFEAAB70EECB.jpeg

D00534D0-5F4B-4304-B26F-627FCA4684CA.jpeg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 1

A299B74F-FCBB-48F6-A8B4-A768D285B1A7.jpeg

I love it!

• Thanks 1

That is really cool Rob.  Nice work :)

10 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

fantastic work. 

Connor, this post might interest you:

• Thanks 2

Great work Rob  !!!

The Baramundi  should be fightin ta git on yer line to be gutted by that one  !!!.........................:D

• Haha 1

Great job on the knife.  It's amazing how a stack of rough cut leather squares and copper plate can be transformed into a work of art.  I like the sheath too.  Is it going to be suspended from the belt by a brass ring and a leather loop?

Doug

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback fellas,

Doug, Yes It will be suspended like that only I made the ring from another piece of copper and work hardened it a bit. Almost done. Will post finished pics soon.

Brian, that was a fantastic tutorial. I learnt some good info there.

22 minutes ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Great work Rob  !!!

The Baramundi  should be fightin ta git on yer line to be gutted by that one  !!!.........................:D

Clifford, I will send you a pic when I do.

1 minute ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Clifford, I will send you a pic when I do

Cool beans  !!   I sure would like to tangle with a couple of those Barramundi myself

I hear they are aggressive strikers and great fighters !!..................B)

13 hours ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Cool beans  !!   I sure would like to tangle with a couple of those Barramundi myself

I hear they are aggressive strikers and great fighters !!..................B)

They are a great sport fish Clifford but I suppose are like a lot of fish in the way that sometimes they just sit there and let your lure go by and other times they attack everything that moves. I had my rod in the holder and the lure was about 1 inch above the water while I was tying on another lure. All of a sudden I felt the boat rock and a a loud thump against the side. I thought it was a croc but was amazed to see my rod in the holder bent over. Ended up being a 91cm barra. just I wish I could work out what switches them on.

If ever you come to Oz let give me a yell...you might be good luck

A promised Chris here is a pic of my Ryobi in all it's glory. I mostly use it to remove scale and shape handles but it can not be trusted to shape a blade with any accuracy so i prefer files. Bahco files are the ones I use not banco as in my reply to you earlier. Not much choice at Bunnings.

ADC58775-CB9F-4349-A600-71E12BF0C8ED.jpeg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 1

This is my beast @Rob Toneguzzo... home built 2x72. Seen here with a fresh 60grit ceramic belt which got some use today. Not much mind you as it removes metal and scale super fast. The problem I have is lack of time standing in front of it and trying things outside of m skill level, I.e. sweeping plunges, lol. 

20200130_133339.jpg

Edited by Chris C-S

Thats looks great Chris, I would like to get myself one before too long as I want to get back into some larger blades and swords.

• Thanks 1

Here are the finished pics I took today when it was not raining.  I really enjoyed this build and will be making more such blades. Now..onto a Seax sheath.

IMG_5981-Edit.jpg

IMG_5989-Edit.jpg

IMG_5997-Edit.jpg

IMG_6025-Edit.jpg

IMG_6046-Edit.jpg

IMG_6052-Edit.jpg

• Like 6

Nice blade, sheath and nice photos. 

Pretty sure I'm going to be emulating this as close as possible on my next knife attempt. 

• Thanks 1

The completed package is just awesome, Rob!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1