Rob Toneguzzo

Puukko inspired EDC

Wow, Rob, that really looks nice.  You did a good job on all of tht.

• Thanks 1

Outstanding work Rob!  I haven't seen a stacked leather handle come out that clean looking.  Did you apply a finish (other than stain), or just burnish it?

• Thanks 1

That is a beauty Rob  !!!..............B)

I was in Sydney back in 1980 on my Navy tour but then the only fishin I did was

fer split tails, at the age of 19 most of yer thinkin is done with yer southern head.................;)

If I win the lottery I will be lookin you up fer sure .

• Thanks 1

Thank you all.

5 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Outstanding work Rob!  I haven't seen a stacked leather handle come out that clean looking.  Did you apply a finish (other than stain), or just burnish it?

Alex, To finish the handle after I shaped it I just hand sanded it to a 800 grit and then put leather dressing on and just burnished it with a piece of smooth dear antler. It really is a simple handle that feels good in the hand and is durable. That’s why I like them so much. Also great as it uses up odd shaped scrap leather bits too. Also when I stack it I epoxy each piece.

Oh..I didn’t stain the handle only the pouch.

it just darkened up with the dressing but stain works great too. Black looks great on a dagger. 

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 2

@Rob ToneguzzoHey mate, 

What sized stock did you start out with for this job if you don't mind me asking? 

I've seen some YouTube vids and some makers seem to use a very tiny piece of stock. 

Also, if you don't mind what thicknesses did you end up with. I assume somewhere around 3mm or so by 18-22 ish for the blade height? And as for the handle I assume the tang was somewhere in the region of 125mm or so long?

Just trying to get a feel for it is all... I also visited the PUUKKO thread about forging one so have a general idea about how to go about it. 

Thanks in advance mate. 

Edited by Chris C-S

Hi Chris,

I started out with about 11cm of blade about 4mm thick and about 15mm wide.

Finished knife is 19cm OAL with a 8cm blade 3 mm thick with a tapered blade and tang from where the bolster is. 

Traditionally the handle should be about the width of your hand (or whoever you may be making it for) I stretched mine out to about 15 cm to allow enough to pein over.

good luck and looking forward to seeing it come to life.

• Like 1

Rob that came out smokin' hot. That will make a great belt knife, especially when fishing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2020 at 7:44 PM, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Hi Chris,

I started out with about 11cm of blade about 4mm thick and about 15mm wide.

Finished knife is 19cm OAL with a 8cm blade 3 mm thick with a tapered blade and tang from where the bolster is. 

Traditionally the handle should be about the width of your hand (or whoever you may be making it for) I stretched mine out to about 15 cm to allow enough to pein over.

good luck and looking forward to seeing it come to life.

Thanks Rob.