nprovos

Integral Bolster Kitchen Knife

A woodworking friend was visiting me in the shop and we spent a day forging a couple of kitchen knives. I don't have pictures of all the steps. We started with 4.5" of 3/4in round bar (W1) and forged an integral bolster. Blade lengths ended up between 6 - 7in. Here are some photos starting with normalizing and then fitting the cocobolo scales.

IMG_20200125_122943 - Edited.jpg

The bolsters are hard to see and we had very limited time so everything was a little bit rushed:

IMG_20200125_133451 - Edited.jpg

We hand filed the bolster to create a better fit with the wood and then drilled holes in each scale:

IMG_20200125_164051 - Edited.jpgIMG_20200125_164201 - Edited.jpg

Glued up with slow setting epoxy:

IMG_20200125_204526 - Edited.jpgIMG_20200127_163545 - Edited.jpg

The final result. The hamon on this knife did not work out as the clay came off during quenching. I'll post a photo once the other knife is done:IMG_20200128_074701 - Edited.jpg

If you think the process may be of interest, I could make it another video project.

• Like 3

This is a cool little knife. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Your videos are always worth it, Niels!  

Here is the knife I made for myself. I broke off quite a bit of tip when trying to straighten it  - we only had time for a 30 minute tempering cycle. I also did not have the right clay at the shop, so the hamon is not particularly inspired. However, it performed well against the purchases from the farmers market :-)

kitchenknife2.jpg

• Like 4

I am video documenting making another kitchen knife like this and realized that I did not have the right tools. Here is a video making dies for the blacksmith helper:

• Like 1

Quick and easy, Niels.  The way it should be.

The only thing that jumped into my head that's mildly concerning to me is that I'm wondering if you relieved the sharp edges enough,especially on the butcher.  To me, it looks a little sharp still from here.  You would know best, though, as you have used the tool.  

I think I relieved them sufficiently. It's hard to see on the image. It has been holding up fine in use so far. Use being one kitchen knife :-)

It certainly does the job better than my rounded guillotine fuller.  And the video was top-notch as always, thanks for that!

Excellent video production. (As is usual for your videos)

I like your overall tool design.  I've been meaning to make a guillotine tool for some time, and I will probably copy your design. 

I got this design from John West. It really comes in handy.

The top knife is the one where I filmed making it. It's been a struggle to find time for video editing though:

IMG_20200329_121346.jpg