Chris C-S

Apple Knife WIP

Hello ladies and gents.

Today I started on a friends "Apple Knife" ... i tried to forge these into some form of 'preform' from the two pieces of starting stock, being a Nicholson File and a piece of 1075 I cut up from a previous project. 

The heat and beat trying my best to forge to shape and thickness. I have a lot to learn but as @JenniferPshowed us in her performs video I tried my hardest at this point to get the thickness and tapers down. On the 1075 blank that started with no tang I'm happy with how I did there. 

I stamped my MM and then HT'd both. I couldn't get a file to skate on the Nicholson from oil quench so went with a water quench on that one. It work out so far, we'll see if there are any cracks once I get to grinding on it I guess. 

Thanks for looking. 

20200130_092314.jpg

20200130_092501.jpg

20200130_093849.jpg

20200130_101659.jpg

20200130_101654.jpg

following this one Chris.

• Like 1

Profile completed, and bevels ground to 220 on belt grinder. 

Bevels the hand sanded to 120 on each side. Knife making fitness is Zero, and finger cramps have prevent further work today... in summary, forged, heat treated, profiled and bevels established. 

Lessons learnt, tried sweeping plunges but dug in too hard and had a hell of a time establishing back to flat bevels without raising bevel height too much. 

Also as blade was forged to near size but not until profiling did I notice I hammered the bevels higher on one side. As a result in I tried to correct with grinding but one side is still a smidge higher than the other. It shows on the forged finish with one side being 2mm or so higher. However knowing my friend she will like the uniqueness of the forged finish. 

20200130_144734.jpg

20200130_144842.jpg

• Like 3

I think you have done well Chris, looks good. Very often my blades differ from the original plan too and often for the better in the end. I quench the rasps and files that I use in water too but I always give them 3 normalising cycles before I do. I made a couple of flint strikers and did not normalise them (I was experimenting to see if they would throw any better sparks) and they cracked but I have yet to have one crack that I have normalised before the quench.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

I think you have done well Chris, looks good. Very often my blades differ from the original plan too and often for the better in the end. I quench the rasps and files that I use in water too but I always give them 3 normalising cycles before I do. I made a couple of flint strikers and did not normalise them (I was experimenting to see if they would throw any better sparks) and they cracked but I have yet to have one crack that I have normalised before the quench.

Cheers @Rob Toneguzzo... I normalized 3 time also. Oil quenched, no good, reheated and then water quenched. Havent done anything with that blade other than temper. The 1075 blade is coming along nicely though. It is a smidge smaller in lenght but other than that and no sweeping plunges it's coming up mint. 

Great to hear and looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 1

Glad I'm following this WIP, Chris.  Really liking the look of this knife.

• Like 1

The sweeping plunge is dramatic to the eye but I have never attempted one. I can see how they would be difficult to get right.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2

So today I managed to fit a hammer textured copper bolster, finish polishing out the blade up to 800g, then on a buffer wheel. Wood faced off and fitted. The wood is Western Australian Jarrah. I have the grain running vertically so as I sand the shape into the handle there will be a topographic style of wood grain showing on the sides. Should look pretty good I think. 20200201_144652.jpg

Oh and just through hand sanding and a minor slip she bit me. But that's knives right?

20200201_131716.jpg

20200201_150402.jpg

20200201_130911.jpg

20200201_144633.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good! And yes, they all take their price. :lol:

• Like 1

Looks great Chris.

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Looking good! And yes, they all take their price. :lol:

Most of mine have drawn first blood too.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Looks great Chris.

Most of mine have drawn first blood too.

Thanks Rob. A quick slip a she created a nice flap. Good thing about a clean cut is they heal really well. I always have a box of good quality bandaids on my bench. Lol. Didn't help with the angle grinder to the leg job a few yeara back though... 

Band-aids for a cut!  Sacrilege!  Paper towel and tape is the proper way to stop a bleeder. :P

10 hours ago, Chris C-S said:

20200201_144652.jpg

There is nothing on this earth that can’t be improved by the addition of googly eyes.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Band-aids for a cut!  Sacrilege!  Paper towel and tape is the proper way to stop a bleeder. :P

Bahahahaha done that many times. Kept running out of paper towel though.

7 hours ago, Charles dP said:

There is nothing on this earth that can’t be improved by the addition of googly eyes.

Facts!

Knife all finished out. High grit sanding to 600g, and finished in danish oil. Copper polished on buffer. Sheath and sharpening on stones left to go. 

Tear drop hand shaped handled with balance point right on the bolster. Feel good in hand, three finger grip or pinch grip for some kitchen work. I think it meets the brief spot on. 

What's your thoughts? 

20200202_114625.jpg

20200202_114609.jpg

20200202_114656.jpg

20200202_114750.jpg

• Like 4

Sheath completed, a simply pocket sleeve. Hand saddle stitched and buffed with some paste wax. Simple and tidy. Stamped with Makers mark and blades serial number. Yep this makes blade 11 finished. 

That completes the build. Thanks so much for following and commenting. 

20200202_171510.jpg

20200202_171533.jpg

Edited by Chris C-S
  • Like 4

That’s a great little knife Chris and nicely finished off too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

That’s a great little knife Chris and nicely finished off too.

Thanks Rob. Appreciate it. Going to have a crack at a Puukko now... seen a good one somewhere recently and have been inspired ...

• Haha 1

That really turned out nice, Chris.  I like these small knives.  Have one designed that I'm going to make some day.

• Thanks 1

These are the little knives that end up getting the most use and this one is a very fine example of the breed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

That really turned out nice, Chris.  I like these small knives.  Have one designed that I'm going to make some day.

9 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

These are the little knives that end up getting the most use and this one is a very fine example of the breed. 

Your both very kind, Thanks alot for the complements. Definitely always learning but happy with this result. 

Looking good :)  I agree with Garry, it's little knives like these that will get used they way they are intended.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Looking good :)  I agree with Garry, it's little knives like these that will get used they way they are intended.

Thanks @Brian Doughertymy mate was stoked. 

I like it.. what did you end up with for spine thickness?  it really is cute.. :) 

• Thanks 1