Jump to content
Brian Dougherty

Another new slip-joint design

Recommended Posts

This is a prototype of a new design I worked up to see if I could eliminate the 90-degree corner at the joint that is often left exposed with a slip-joint.  I still have a lot of work to do on this prototype, but the parts are all fitted together, and the knife works well mechanically.

 

I'm also working on making smaller and more space efficient knives.  This one has a 2.5" blade and is just over 3" long when closed.  I'm going to have to start thinning down the bone material I use for the scales.  This knife is a bit thick for it's size.

 

I'll post some more pics as I finish this up.  My pattern is still a pencil sketch on this one.  When I get it drawn on CAD, I'll post a pattern.

 

IMG_20200204_180820497.jpg

 

IMG_20200204_180715609.jpg

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks good Brian. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this one, it's a classic shape, (or it is reminiscent of a classic shape) and the jigged bone is a great choice.

I have always struggled with the liner relief to avoid those scrapes around the ricasso/tang.

How will you do that?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Brian!

14 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

This is a prototype of a new design I worked up to see if I could eliminate the 90-degree corner at the joint that is often left exposed with a slip-joint. 

Are you referring to the key ring grabber?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Guys

 

50 minutes ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Are you referring to the key ring grabber?

 

I've not heard it called that, but that name would make sense.  Here is a pic of what I'm trying to eliminate:

Capture.JPG

 

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

I have always struggled with the liner relief to avoid those scrapes around the ricasso/tang.

How will you do that?

 

I don't have a great solution for that either.  The best approach I know of is to mill a relief around the pivot point, but I don't have a way to do that right now.  I've had moderate success by breaking the corners of the liners very slightly, but I'm still working on sanding these liners flat so the edges are pretty sharp right now.  Additionally, the bushing I am using for test assembly is thinner than the tang of the blade.  For the final assembly, the bushing will be about 0.0007" thicker than the blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one I came up with some years back for the same reason but the ugly thumb stud area on the finished knife has always annoyed me so recently as a retirement gift to myself (a few years too late) I commissioned a talented young folder maker to make me the perfect knife with CPM154 blade ( mirrored flat and satin bevels), damasteel bolsters, 416 spacer with jeweled titanium liners and I sent some giraffe bone for the scales. It is on the way and  should arrive next week. 

 

 

 IMG_20200206_071802.jpgIMG_20200206_071826.jpgIMG_20200206_072116.jpg

 

 

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so stealing that perspex template idea!  And that solid "click" upon opening is pretty sweet.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary, that's an absolutely beautiful folder.  Love it.  Such class!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Garry Keown  I agree with Alan, that plexigalss template is a cool idea.  The knife that is heading your way is certainly very well done.  I don't know what you did for a living, but I hope you enjoy your retirement present :)

 

I haven't stepped into the liner lock realm yet, but will have to someday soon.  I think they are probably the best overall setup for utility in a pocket knife.  The catch is I would rather make something that looks classic and non threatening like you have in your design.  So many liner locks are designed to please the tacti-cool crowd, and that just isn't my thing.  (I prefer a nice wood-stocked boltie over an AR too.  I guess I am an old fart in a middle-aged guy's body)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

@Garry Keown  I agree with Alan, that plexigalss template is a cool idea.  The knife that is heading your way is certainly very well done.  I don't know what you did for a living, but I hope you enjoy your retirement present :)

 

I haven't stepped into the liner lock realm yet, but will have to someday soon.  I think they are probably the best overall setup for utility in a pocket knife.  The catch is I would rather make something that looks classic and non threatening like you have in your design.  So many liner locks are designed to please the tacti-cool crowd, and that just isn't my thing.  (I prefer a nice wood-stocked boltie over an AR too.  I guess I am an old fart in a middle-aged guy's body)

 

 

I was in the wood industry all my working life being a builder and making  a lot of the interrior fittings, furniture and joinery. I also made a great many rifle stocks and and like you I have always been a walnut and blued steel kind of guy and specialised in the 1900's to 1930' era of English sporting rifle. I have another to do at the moment.

 It was the inconvenience of needing two hands to operate the slip joint that made me change and when I wanted to make one for myself it was the liner lock that won the day and they can certainly be made in a non tactical way.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made some more progress this weekend.  I'm about ready to do the final assembly.

 

IMG_20200209_172553258.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing like taking something you have several hours of work in, and hitting it with a hammer a couple hundred times.IMG_20200209_183543076.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...