Chris Christenberry

Just finished Knife #2

On 2/17/2020 at 6:01 AM, Brian Dougherty said:

His claim was that if you actually look at the real dimensions of the features claimed to be using the golden ratio that they aren't really that close.

As I understand it, the 1.6 to 1 ratio is really an average of a lot of things. It like the mean in a sampling. All of the samples are some standard deviation from the mean.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:28 PM, Doug Lester said:

Chris,  I can indirectly identify with your situation in High School with Algebra.  I met a man once who was an architectural engineer.  He told me that when he was in college he needed to get a C in calculus to get his degree but he was pulling a D+.  He went to his instructor and asked if there was any way that he could bring his grade up to a C and his teacher said that if he would promise never to build anything above the ground he'd give him a C.  The man I was talking to made the promise and had kept it throughout his professional career.

Doug

Don't know how I missed this, Doug, but I'm glad to know someone else in the world had as much trouble with numbers as I!...................................of course he was having trouble with Calculus.............not something as elementary as Algebra. ;)

last time the golden mean came up i wondered if people would feel the same way about it if it were called something like harvey bungs number. 

everybodys hands are fairly close in size, within a couple inches not counting extremely large or small hands, so basically all knife handles are pretty close in size too, 4"-6" is a good average. if you applied the goldean mean = beauty to knives with a longer than 8" blade they would all be ugly because the blade would be too long in relation to the handle, im pretty sure nobody here thinks that. 

even if you do some mathematical balancing of a knife you still need to visually balance it. you could have a visually balanced knife that isnt mathematically balanced.

as for brass on a knife, i havent had a great experience working with scrap brass so i dont like it. then again i have had trouble with scrap bronze falling apart too, however i like silicon bronze because you can forge it. i think brass is a little too bright and i tend to use copper, copper all seems to work pretty much the same as far as i can tell. but i will consider brass in the future, i dont think its viewed to be as fancy as it used to be but most materials arent fancy anyway until they are treated to be so.