Faye

A Hammer-In Question

I have never been to a hammer in before, so I have no idea what kind of environment they are. I found one I really want to go to , but I have a quick question for those who have been to a hammer in before. Would you send your 18 year old daughter to one alone? 

Yes, all the hammer-ins and blacksmith events I've been to, are family type events.   

I’m actually wondering the same thing, I’m going to Josh Smiths big sky conference this year. I don’t know what the environment is like so I’m a little hesitant, I’ll follow this one for the info. 

21 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

I’m actually wondering the same thing, I’m going to Josh Smiths big sky conference this year. I don’t know what the environment is like so I’m a little hesitant, I’ll follow this one for the info.

That's the same one I want to go to.

Sounds like a date. Maybe a chaperone would be in order......^_^

Seriously though, both of you should be fine. These are not drunken frat parties. These are typically serious events about the art and how it is taught to students. 

The instructors that participate have reputations to maintain (and sometimes grow). 

No worries I'll bring my own chaperone, my dad is thinking about coming along...

Thank you very much Gerald and Josh for your great input. You both successfully convinced my mother that I can go:D Thank you.

42 minutes ago, Faye said:

my dad is thinking about coming along...

Excellent! 

BTW- both you and Conner should remember to bring your latest work with you to get feedback and critique from the teachers and more experienced folks.

Getting advice from fellow forumites looking at photos is one thing. Putting the work in the hand of a Bladesmith is a whole new world.

Don't be shy about it either. Hammer-ins are where you will start to build your network. Just wait until the break and ask if they would be willing to look at your work and provide feedback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Josh. :) 

On 2/13/2020 at 4:08 PM, Gerald Boggs said:

Yes, all the hammer-ins and blacksmith events I've been to, are family type events.   

At least until after dark....B) :unsure: (j/k)

2 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

You must have been to some of the West coast events

LOL....those are all I've been too.

Typically all the hammer-ins I've gone to are all very welcoming.  Its a good networking experience you can meet a lot of people working professionally.   If the event is hosted by an actual blacksmith group there are many other aspects they may offer.  My local open forge group offers any kind of plans they have available to make items.  The larger group in the area offers access to a library, tool swaps etc.  list goes on. 

12 hours ago, billyO said:

At least until after dark....B) :unsure: (j/k)

If the event is hosted by an actual blacksmith organization your fine. 

I had to leave events at the local craft school after dark because . . .  hippy's do what hippy's do.   I make that statement cautiously because not all craft school are the same. 

1 hour ago, Daniel W said:

I had to leave events at the local craft school after dark because . . .  hippy's do what hippy's do  

Funny, I've had the exact same experience at family get togethers!:D

1 hour ago, Daniel W said:

hippy's do what hippy's do.

Not being argumentative, but I think I'd edit this to: 'adults do what adults do'.  Only because the term 'hippy' can have some negative connotations to some folks, and passing a bottle of home-made whisky around a campfire does not make one a 'hippy'.

And what Alex just said....;)

But we're starting to get off topic a bit.  I think everyone would agree that Hammer-ins and blacksmithing round-ups are geared toward either education, public outreach, or both.  If I had an 18 y/o daughter who wanted to go to one, my only concern would be that she would come back a better smith than I am.

Edited by billyO

3 hours ago, billyO said:

If I had an 18 y/o daughter who wanted to go to one, my only concern would be that she would come back a better smith than I am.

This is true.  Even at those events that involve adult beverages for those adults who want one in the evening, I have never been to one where any person of any age would be threatened with anything except greater learning.  Every smith I know gets downright protective of the younger ones, including me, and I'm allergic to children!  A hammer-in is the safest place you could possibly be, in my experience.

Noted, I do not mean to through it off topic or sound derogatory, and do agree that I've never seen anything strange at a hammer-in event aside from the occasional jeweler showing up doing alchemy of some sort.  Never heard of sweating copper to steel before but seen it happened at one. 

Going to a hammer-in is really exciting, and you will also be surprised that the other people are going to be excited that you attend.  I have never met a smith that has not been open about sharing ideas, helping a project along, wanting to know what your interested in making, and let you know of other events.  The people who have been keeping the craft alive are really open to teaching the next group of craftspeople.   And those people can always help you get started weather its looking for tools, what books to read up on, how to work safely.

I always advise to take some safety glasses just in case there are not enough to go around at the hammer-in. Ear plugs are also a good idea. 

9 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

I always advise to take some safety glasses just in case there are not enough to go around at the hammer-in. Ear plugs are also a good idea. 

Good idea!

• Thanks 1