Looking good!

Yes it is !!...............B)

I hate to say this, but I don't think that ridge is centered or straight.

Did you check it with a mirror like this?

I did not.  I can see that being a very handy technique, especially for lining up the filing jig when setting the shoulders. 

Looking at the photos closer, I can definitely see where the center line looks like it bows out to one side.  Thank you for pointing that out.  Everything seemed nice and straight when I looked at it from the point, but now I'm going to have to double check before I go much farther.

Thanks for keeping me honest Josh.  I took a closer look tonight and it was about .030" off the center line at the worst spot.  I fiddled with it for 45 minutes or so and managed to straighten it out quite a bit.

20200306_173410.jpg

• Like 3

That looks loads better Alex. I didn't keep you honest, you did that yourself.

The tip is slightly off, but you can get that with the final hand sanding.

Thanks Josh.  I actually spent a good portion of the day messing around with this.  The edge was significantly thicker up by the ricasso and tapered down to the point.  I ended up going back and forth from files to sandpaper 3 or 4 times until I got the edge evened out on both sides.  I think it's finally ready for heat treat, probably sometime this coming week.

good job on going back and fixing things, thats the tricky part.

i like low layer blades and i will like to see it when its done, i think the dagger will turn out nicely. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I finally worked up the nerve to heat treat today.  The pessimist in me was expecting it to blow up into pieces, or at least warp like crazy.   Thankfully everything came out beautifully:

20200314_121332.jpg20200314_121339.jpg

Now it's on to clean up.

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 1

Great stuff Alex 

Today I finished hand sanding and managed to get the guard bent and slotted to the tang.

20200321_165320.jpg

Hopefully I can get it trimmed to size and profiled tomorrow.  We'll see how much shop time I get, the wife is on a painting and reorganizing kick right now.

Great stuff Alex. Congrats on the successful HT.

If I may give you an unsolicited piece of advice, it would be this:

Take the guard off the blade and lay the blade on a piece of paper. Trace the outline and make several photocopies.

Now set yourself to designing the rest of the picture. Make all of the other parts sized based on the dimensions of the blade in whole number ratios.

If you have a compass, use it to determine the length of the blade, half the length, 1/3. 1/4. etc.

This will help layout the handle, guard, and everything else in direct proportion to the blade length and width.

• Thanks 1

The wife didnt want my help painting today, so that meant I got another day of shop time! :D

After a couple of starts and stops, I finally figured out a decent way to get the rest of the top profile ground into the guard.

20200322_163858.jpg

20200322_164312.jpg

I still need to decide on the, for lack of a better term, frontal profile though.  I sketched a couple of options that popped into my head:

20200322_164928.jpg

Thoughts?

I think you should build the rest of the handle first and leave shaping the guard for last. Just because that's the way I do it.

That way I get the handle shape exactly the way it feels really comfortable and shape the guard to fit the handle.

That's pretty much what I've decided on doing.  I haven't been too happy with my sketch of the handle/pommel, I took some time and drew out several different designs today.  I think I finally stumbled on one that I like.  Hopefully over the next week or two I can get this blade wrapped up.

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2020 at 11:27 PM, Alex Middleton said:

Hopefully over the next week or two I can get this blade wrapped up.

Do not rush this. You have made an awesome effort thus far. Sometimes slower is better. 

Edited by Joshua States

Been picking away over the last few days.  I managed to get the main components of the handle fitted today. 

20200404_185151.jpg

Picture sucks like normal.  This is my first crack at a thru tang so I've been kind of feeling my way through it.  I only screwed up 1 handle blank, so not too bad.  Still need to trim the handle down to size and start on the buttplate, maybe tomorrow. 

• Like 4

I see you have mastered the art of irritating the wife just enough that she tells you to get lost but not really be mad at you.:P  That knife is coming along quite nicely

Doug

• Thanks 1

I've been practicing that skill for 20+ years, still dont have it perfected though.  I may have gone a little too far lately........:D

Posted (edited)

Nice Alex. Now remove the blade and spacer from the block and lay the tang on top of the block with the spacer butted up tight. Line up the ricasso with where you want it, and draw the outline of the tang on the drawing of the handle. This will let you see how much wood you have t work with. Well, honestly, it allows me to see how much wood you have left to work with.

I usually do this step before I design the handle shape...…... 

Edited by Joshua States

As requested.

20200405_171306.jpg

It's a bit thin near the guard, but I think itll be doable if I'm careful.  I may reshape the handle design a bit, but if I go too thick itll throw off the lines with the ricasso.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:16 PM, Alex Middleton said:

if I go too thick itll throw off the lines with the ricasso.

Not if you flare the spacer package.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this as I was considering how to do the handle on the dagger I'm working on. 

Another option for you is to keep the skinny straight spacer and do a "museum fit" with the handle wood. 

That is where the front edge of the handle is just a little larger than the spacer. The front edge is rolled ever so slightly to create a soft lip.

Whatever you try to do, I wish you the best. You have done a fantastic job so far.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Josh.  I like that idea, I'm already past the point of being able to do it with this handle though.  I've been slowly whittling away at it and have the rough shaping done.  It's going to be very close. If I manage to jack it up, I'll seriously consider the museum fit.  Right now I'm trying to get the fit up correct on the profiled buttcap.  Its probably the toughest thing I've tackled so far on this build.

Edited by Alex Middleton